mlhend1

Apr 17, 2002
Does one experience any performance gain by running 104 octane gas over 93? Is the kdx setup to take advantage of higher octanes? With the price of 104 does it make more sense to run 93 with octane booster?which octane booster brand is recommended. I have tried STP and 0 - 60, only use a small portion at a time (treats up to 20 gallons.)

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
A stock KDX with stock compression would actually run worse with high octane fuel. Don't even use boosters....they aren't good..and not a subsitute for high octane fuel even if you could use it. At best they willl only raise it a couple of points.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Well said.

It's a common misconception that increased octane is always a good thing.

If the engine in question is designed to run on a particular octane and does it well, putting a higher octane fuel in it may well not do anything good, and may well NOT do any number of things as well as the lower octane fuel.

Cactus Jim

Apr 1, 2002
I agree with all. Octaine is also dependant on elevation, the lower the elevation, the higher octain reqauired. I run 91 octain with great results at about 2,000 ft, but I've heard of others running 93 octain, probably closer to sea level. I know in higher elevations you can't even buy 91 octain, with something around 89 being their premium.

I think, without major engine modifications, if you stick with local premium you will be OK.

Sage

dirtbike riding roadracer
Mar 28, 2001
if you have raised the compression race fuel will help the way the bike runs but a stock KDX is so low on compression that anything that burns should work in it..............

Top Bottom