dirttrails

Mar 20, 2002
I'm not very familiar with the different types of off road races, so hopefully ya'll can help me out.
I know what an enduro is and the idea behind it. But what are GNCC's?
I see them on TV and they look like something I'd like to get into a little, but I haven't seen any for Northern California. Do they fall under different names?
What's the idea of a harescamble or a hare and hound?

Thanks for the help and info.

Trail Boss

Sponsoring Member
Jul 25, 2000
Dirttrails

GNCCs are hare scrambles. They’re just call Grand National Cross Country races.
The idea is to race as fast as you can around a loop of trail set up in the woods.
The length of the loop and the number of laps will vary and depend on the race and the class you ride in.
The better ( faster ) riders might do 7 laps of a 6 mile loop where a slower /newer “C” rider race might only last for 4 laps of the same loop.

Unlike an enduro you do not have to keep to a predetermined time schedule, the idea is the fastest rider to complete all required laps and cross the finish line first wins.

Hare n Hound races are different - not always raced in a number of laps around one loop. I believe they are usually one long race from point A to point B and are 100 miles or so.
Follow this link to the AMA and look under the various types of racing – if you look around there are rules listed for each type of racing. You should be able to find what you are looking for.

AMA < --- click

But I suggest you look into contacting a local club for information on races in your area.

harescambler

Jun 3, 2002
TrailBoss is right GNCC races are hare scrambles. GNCC races are typically 3+ hours(depending on your speed and class). Harescrambles are around 2 hours(winter) and 1.5 hours(summer) atleast at mid south races. You may search AMA as Trail Boss suggested, a couple of years ago I recieved a booklet with all types of off road racing, it contained rules, regulations, etc. . They may have it online. You may also try links at the GNCC site or cyclenews.com. <-Not sure if correct address.

DEVO

Nov 24, 1999
Come to Elkton, Oregon Memorial weekend '03 for an AMA nat'l Hare Scramble attended by the likes of Andrews, Watts and the Garrahans. Keep checking www.etra.net in the months to come as we will put on the site a flyer.

Top Bottom