2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
Ogemaw county is on the verge of approving an ordinance that will allow ORV use on county roads. We need people at this meeting to support the ordinance by at least 2 to 1 because of what happened in Oscoda County when they recently had a public meeting regarding this same issue (some local opposition).
Please make an effort to attend this meeting and be prepared to make a brief statement because they keep track of positive and negative comments from the audience. Presenting something as simple as "I support this ordinance" will suffice. If you want to elaborate, that's great.

The Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan supports this ordinance and looks forward to other counties implementing similar legislation to better our sport. Ogemaw county, if this passes, will join Montmorency, Presque Isle and Cheboygan counties who have similar laws already in effect.

The meeting is at the West Branch courthouse September 22nd at 6:30 p.m. It is a big grey building on the corner of M-55 and M-30 officially called the Ogemaw County Building. From the south take exit 212 off I-75, turn right go approximately 3 miles through town, the building is on the left. The meeting is in the commissioners chambers on the 1st floor.

If you can't make the meeting, you can email the county clerk with your supportive comments for the ordinance. Send emails to ogemawcoclerk@m33access.com (subject: ORV ordinance)

Here's a copy of the ordinance as it currently stands:

State of Michigan ? County of Ogemaw
ORV Ordinance

An ordinance for the regulation of operation of ORVÍs in Ogemaw County on roadways.

Sec. 1. As used in this ordinance, the following definitions shall apply:

a) ñPublic Roadî means that portion of a county road that is improved, maintained and used by the public for vehicular travel, including any improved shoulders.
b) ñOperateî means to rid in or on, and be in actual physical control of the operation of an ORV.
c) An ORV is defined as a motor vehicle with forward movement made possible by the use of two, three, four or six wheels with surface contact made by rubber tires. The vehicle must have a measurement from the ground surface to the base of seat height greater than eight-teen inches. On three, four or six wheeled vehicles the wheel rim diameter may not exceed thirteen inches.
d) ñRoad Surfaceî means that portion of a roadway improved, designated, or ordinarily used for vehicular travel and does not include within its meaning the shoulder or right-of way.

Sec. 2 An ORV may not be operated on the road surface of any roadway, with the exception of sections of roadways that do not have an adequate shoulder of roadway or bridge crossing allowing the ORV to avoid contact with the road surface. In these cases the ORV must remain to the far right of the roadway contacting the least amount of road surface as possible.

Sec. 3 An ORV may be operated on the roadway surface of any roadway for the purpose of crossing the roadway. The operator must bring the ORV to a complete stop and cross at a right angle to the roadway.

Sec 4 An Orv may not be operated on the road surface, roadway, shoulder or right-of-way of highways M-55 or M-33 except:
a) In a life-threatening emergency.
b) For the purpose of getting from one area to another, and operator may cross such roadway at right angles. The operator shall bring the ORV to a complete stop prior to crossing a roadway and shall yield the right-of-way to incoming traffic.

Sec. 5 An Orv may be operated on the shoulder of the roadway, in the direction of traffic in a single file manner, of all public roadways in Ogemaw County with the exception of roadways prohibited by sec. 4.

Sec. 6 An ORV may not be operated on a public roadway at a rate of speed higher than a posted or greater that 30 mph.

Sec. 7 An ORV must yield to all pedestrian and automobile vehicular traffic.

Sec. 8 An ORV must operate outside and not within the city limits of West Branch and Rose City unless designated routes are established by a city ordinance.

Sec. 9 An ORV may not be operated on a public roadway between the hours of 11:00 pm and 6:00 am.

Sec. 10 An ORV wit a width greater than 50 inches, must have a orange or red flag on a pole that measures at least six feet height and properly secured to the rear left hand side.

Sec. 11 Any person who violates this ordinance is guilty of a civil infraction, punishable by a fine of $60.00 upon the first conviction and a $100.00 for any subsequent conviction.

Sec. 12 Any person convicted of causing destruction to the road surface of the roadway or shoulder of the roadway will be held responsible for full restitution to repair the roadway to its original condition and will be guilty of a misdemeanor with an additional fine of $250.00

Nestrick

Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 6, 2003
Hey 2TrakR

Thanks for this very important update. Does it matter to those in charge of this meeting that persons supporting said ordinance are not residents of the county? I'm not positive yet, but I may be able to make it up there for this meeting if you think it is sufficiently important and they are not opposed to non-residents making statements.

I suppose that telling them I am not a resident ... but would definitely consider spending more of my 'riding adventure budget' in Ogemaw County if they were to pass such legislation might prove interesting? Regardless, I will prepare a short email and send it to the address you have given and I hope others will support this effort as well.

By the way, if Ogemaw passes the ordinance, is there any possibility that Gladwin would also consider it? Being able to ride the forest roads [legally] would definitely open up riding possibilities that will never exist otherwise in Gladwin and might move us away from this 'slow closure of riding area' syndrome we appear to be in for the moment?

terry nestrick :cool:

Nestrick

Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 6, 2003
Hey 2TrakR

Here's a copy of the email I forwarded just in case it will help others compose their version ...
Ogemaw County Clerk:

I am writing this email with regard to: An ordinance for the regulation of operation of ORVs in Ogemaw County on roadways ... that will be the subject of a meeting at the West Branch Courthouse on September 22nd at 6:30 p.m.

I am not a resident of Ogemaw County, however I am a frequent visitor of the ORV trails and routes currently available in the County. While I enjoy use of these trails under the current ORV operating rules, I highly recommend passage of the an ordinance that would permit legal operation of specified ORVs on County roads as defined within the prospective ordinance. Such a change would make me more likely to come to Ogemaw County when I have the opportunity to ride because of the ability to more efficiently use my off road motorcycle on a larger variety of trails, routes and county roadways than in other nearby Counties which do not have such legislation in effect. As such, I would be spending a significantly greater proportion of my off roading adventure budget in Ogemaw County while I was there enjoying the broadened riding opportunities. Such increased spending by nonresidents during the summer months should be a considerable asset to the many businesses located within the County who serve the off roading community, to include: motels, camp sites, restaurants, bars, gas stations, grocery stores, convenience stores and drug stores.

I appreciate your attention to my submission;

Terry Nestrick
4520 Washington
Midland, MI 48642

989-835-2266

Email: maggiesscrap@aol.com

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
Terry -
Great letter and your non-resident support is welcome by them (last I checked). The underlying principle for this ordinance is to benefit the county financially. By encouraging safe ORV use and expanding the ability of it's use, they are hoping to increase visitors as well as residents. You may now be more likely to purchase property in the county as you could now drive your unlicensed ORV from your property TO the trails. Same for riding FROM the trails TO the local businesses for gas/food. This is the major selling point (and is the latter part of your letter).

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Old Ron Sape from Rose City,owner of most of the property that the Bentwheels HS is held on, called me yesterday about support for the ordinance. My positive thoughts went out last night.
Young Ted

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Couple questions....

What's the minimum age requirement for operating an ORV on the county roads in this proposal? Must have operators license?

And regarding Section #6: If the posted speed is 45 MPH, is the maximum ORV speed still 30 MPH? I was just a little confused by the this.

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
Smit-Dog said:
What's the minimum age requirement for operating an ORV on the county roads in this proposal? Must have operators license?
None listed, assume they are going by state ORV operator age. 12 and up for quads, 0 and up for bikes. See http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10365_15070-73699--,00.html#Restrictions for state regs.
Smit-Dog said:
And regarding Section #6: If the posted speed is 45 MPH, is the maximum ORV speed still 30 MPH? I was just a little confused by the this.
Limited to max posted speed, unless posted speed is greater than 30, then restricted to 30. So, if posted is 25, then can't go faster than 25. If 45 is posted, than still can't go faster than 30.

The operator age restriction item is nice compared to the proposed one for Oscoda county as they were saying 16 and up. That defeats one of the ideas where you can family ride from camp/cottage to the trails. This lets you take the young uns with you down the road, following the same limits imposed by the state.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I like the ordinance, and hope that if passed, gets used as intended - to get from one trail system to another, without tearing up and roosting the shoulders. My only concern would be little kids/little bikes riding through shoulder sections where roads/driveways come out onto the main road. In my misspent youth, I'd ride in the ditch alongside roads, and use the driveway berms as jumps. What I lacked in judgment was made up for in luck.

I'll send an e-mail in support.

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
The Ogemaw County ORV Ordinance passed this morning. It opens up the following townships in Ogemaw County, north of M-55:
Rose, Foster, Klacking, Cumming, and Logen plus the City of Rose City.
It takes effect 1/1/05 and is "a trial" to see how things go.
Speed limit of 20mph, no riding after dark and fines of $250 plus restitution for any damages among other things.

This information was passed along by Dr. Paulson of Rose City. Major thanks to him and his working group that made this legislation happen.

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
No need to email anyone in support of it; the ordinance was approved & adopted by the county.
If you want to email somebody and thank them for their work, Dr. Paulson would be a good target: Ken Paulson, chirop@m33access.com

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
THANK YOU 2TRAKR!!!! That is GREAT news :yeehaw:
I am sending out an e-mail to Dr. Paulson right now!!
Maybe if each of us are careful with this one we can see other counties go in the same direction ;)
Woodsy

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
all set with Ken there 2trackr, anybody else you can think of??

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Godzuki said:
is this the link to thier email so i can send them a email supporting it to.

maggiesscrap@aol.com

just wondering if not can someone post it.

Nope - thats not it...that is Nestrick's email address!

On second thought, lets flood Nestrick's in box :p

Nestrick

Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 6, 2003
Wow ...

I wasn't sure what was going on here ... but thanks for correcting that 'minor' error on my email address Mike.

terry nestrick :cool:

Top Bottom