jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
I just got a used Ohlins shock from a '95 KTM 250 and it is in good condition but even with the compression setting at maximum "hard" it still bottoms on jumps. It isn't that the spring is too soft because I put the spring from my old shock on it which is even a little too stiff for my weight. So I'd like to take it apart and replace the oil but I am not sure about how to let the gas out. There is a screw with a nut around it on the reservoir. Any ideas?
Also what weight oil should go in it? I'm thinking about putting in slightly heavier oil to give it more damping.
thanks

Last edited:

russ17

Aug 27, 2002
You will need a Needle Nitrogen setup for this type of shock. Under that screw you talk of is a self sealing rubber.
Depending on the type of application this shock was set up for ie.( woods , mx,ect. ) a good cleaning and service might help. It's best to try and get as much info on this shock from the previous owner as possible. As you might need to get it setup for you.

Russ

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
I found a mechanic with a needle/nitrogen setup who can refill the nitrogen but meanwhile I want to take the thing apart myself and see how I can increase the compression damping with the shims. I have a long fat needle (pointed) with the hole in the middle. Can I use that to let the gas out? Or should the needle have a round blunt end like the kind you use with sports balls (ie; basketball, etc)?
thanks

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
for any others in the future looking for info on maintenance/repair of this shock
this is all I have found available:

Ohlins shocks distributor:

Parts Unlimited
3501, Kennedy Rd, Box 5222
JANESVILLE, WI 53547
Tel. +1 608 758 1111
Fax. +1 608 758 1144

Service and Racing Support only:

Öhlins USA Inc.
703-C Old Spartanburg Road
Hendersonville, N.C. 28792
Tel. +1 828 692 4525
Fax. +1 828 692 0595
E-mail: info@ohlinsusa.com

Ohlin Shock revalve (set for rider), oil change, nitrogen recharge $225
Seals replaced $45
www.pro-action.com

www.mxsouth.com
Ohlins shock fluid, 1 liter, $28
C-spanner wrench $4

www.racetech.com
SHOCK NITROGEN NEEDLE # TSNN 01 $27
Nitrogen Gauge # TSNG 01 $100
Shock and fork parts, including oil (which is close to 10W).
You can also look up details about your shock and fork here.

Top Bottom