davefire24

Jul 30, 2002
Pretty new to riding just kind of wondering how often i should change the oil. i have a 02 yz 125 about two months old. riding approx. 3 times a week. should i change the oil or wait awhile.

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
I change it every other ride. Makes about 5 hours of riding time or so. Keep that filter clean as well.

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
What oil are you using? I have always used nothing but Bel-Ray Gear Saver in my 2-strokes and get about 20hrs before I need a oil change.

MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
The more you change the oil the better I think. 20 hours is a bit much I think? But I guess it depends on how hard you are on the clutch.

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
MoO, I have been doing this method for years now since I have been running the Gear Saver in my 2-strokes. It does seem like ALONG time but in MY opinion I don't have to inpress anybody to say I change it every ride because basically the gear saver oil can go way longer then you would expect. In the past when I had my CR125 I was using the Gear Saver in it for almost a year and changing it every 20hrs. I did like to use the clutch alot but I NEVER had a problem with the clutch or shifting. And for the past year the clutch has felt the same as when I bought the bike. I have in the past changed the oil at different riding hours (5hrs, 10hrs, 15hrs, and now 20hrs). After 5hrs the oil looked almost the exact same color as it did when ti went into the engine, this was a waste of $6. 10hrs look almost the same but a tiny bit darker and I still thought it could go longer. 15hrs was almost time to change but it still wasn't a dark color at all. 20hrs was tops, the oil came out looking a nice dark purplish color. Everyone has their own opinions but if it works for ya then just do it.

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
actually, I used to change it every 3 rides, but I decided to let it (pro-onda gear lube) go 20 hours, just to see what it looked like. I noticed no clutchh fade, no shifting problems and the oil is the same color it was when I put it in there.

I'm sure it could go longer than 20 hours but I dont want to roast anything in my tranny.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I would only go 20 hrs with a fluid if I were using Mother McCreary's Rooster Tooth elixer. If you can't find that...then I suggest using Type F ATF at about $1.25-1.95 a pop and change out the fluid every 2 or three rides. What frequency does your manual recommend?

dell, that high dollar oil may well last when putting around on an xr100, but I would never give anyone the advise to leave in fluid for 20 hrs of riding on a modern dirtbike. That is ludicrous. If I have read things correctly, you don't have 20 hrs on any bike but an xr100, yes?

B

biglou

Let's put it this way-You most definitely won't hurt a thing by changing your oil too often. Too seldom is another story, however...

Personally, in the kTm 250, I go about 3-5 hrs of ride time total between changes. In the grand scheme of things, it's just cheap insurance against much, MUCH more costly problems.

jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
I was thinking of getting the Auto Tranny Fluid last time. I recall a big post about it but I can't remember if it was a positive thing. Right now I'm using Mobil1 15w50 and I last changed it June 26th. I've probably logged 10 hours since then and I'm thinking of changing it today actually. Like everyone says, it's such a cheap and easy job, better safe than sorry.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Your's is a method for a quad rider.

bruce j

Dec 14, 2001
I'm a little curious about the idea of using colour as a gauge to judge oil longevity in a 2-stroke tranny. I'm not trying to cut anybody down with this post, just trying to get some constructive discussion going that I and others can learn something from.

In a 4-stroke, the oil is used to help dissolve carbon and other combustion by-products, so it naturally becomes darker as these contaminants build up. Waiting until the oil gets moderately dark before changing it makes some sense in this case.

There will be some normal contaminant build-up in 2-stroke transmission oil too, but nothing I can think of that would make it darker. The only things I can bring to mind that would make this oil get darker would be dirt or overheating. I think overheating is more likely ( If anyone out there can think of something I've missed, please let me know). If this is true, intentionally waiting until your oil gets dark before changing it is misguided. You may not notice any bad results within a year , but I can't help but think it will eventually take its toll.

Any comments on this are welcome, especially from anyone who has some expertise in oils and lubrication.

Bruce

bruce j

Dec 14, 2001
Aluminum clutch plates do wear quicker than steel ones and will change the colour of the oil, but they make it paler, not darker, 'cause the aluminum is so light coloured itself.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
dell, didn't you just move into an 80 this year? And I notice from you sig line that you are waiting to pick up a cr125.....and the only pictures I see in the gallery are of you thrashing out the suspension of an xr100...besides the one with you riding without a helmet.(opps yu must have gotten rid of that one) Heck, I dunno...where DO I come up with this stuff?

:think:

I bet you came up with your oil change recommendation becasue it's how long you waited to change yours out....so it MUST be the correct way to do things.

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Hey Jaybird I think you might need glasses bro cause the only photos dell has in the gallery is him riding his CR80R.... :confused:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom