bananabender

Dec 8, 2007
Which oil goes into the gearbox? Need to change it...

Yamalube XYZ? (because of the wet clutch etc. - or normal motor oil..???)

Last edited:

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Mobil 1 ATF is good for the gearbox but you would need to change it often on a YZ250 2-smoke.

Castrol 10w40 is decent as well.

As for the premix I preferred Yamalube 2R when I had a smoker.

Ivan

bananabender

Dec 8, 2007
Ok - I finally checked the manual and it says "Yamalube 4 (10W-30) or SAE 10W-30 type SE motor oil"...

What does SE mean?

Why are people talking about "Rotella T" all the time? Is it cheap? WalMart lovers? What is it?
http://www.shellusserver.com/products/pdf/RotellaTCI-4CI-4.pdf WOW

I used Castrol 10W-40 or something like that in my old CR250...

I guess I just go down to the auto parts store and get some 10W-30 without fancy stuff in it, to prevent clutch slippage, etc... right?

Crazy how much there is about oil....

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I use cheap ATF and change often. Haven't had any problems. I use Maxxima full synthetic in the fuel at 40:1. Jetted pretty crisp with a trace of spooge.;)

Dec 8, 2007
You can put just about any oil in there and if you change it enough it'll be fine, but the manual recommends a certain oil for a reason, ATF is lower viscosity than 10w30. Theres another thread on this forum that will tell you more than you ever wanted to know about ATF and oil. Its called "ATF in a 2stroke gear box" in the technical posts section.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Not going to debate the science of it. I'm not a pro level rider and I'm not going to spend $9/quart on every ride. Industry people that I know see no problem with using ATF when you change it often. At a $1.39 + Tax, at the end of a season I can afford to rebuild the tranny and clutch. Pure economics not rocket science.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom