atarider

Aug 1, 2009
i just bought a 2004 CRF250X and changed the oil immediately. I didn't get a manual but bought a Haynes manual for the bikes. The Haynes manual said 10w40 was fine, I just wanted to make sure i didn't need to use the honda oil (i just used pennzoil).

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I run RotellaT 15w40 in my crf. Make sure you change both engine and tranny oil frequently.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
are you talking the engine or tranny side?

The engine you can use car oil no problem. But NOT on the tranny side. Use motorcycle specific gear oil.

atarider

Aug 1, 2009
actually both. I used Pennzoil 10x40 on the engine side which i was pretty confident. So do i have to use the honda tranny oil or is there an accceptable other brand?

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
The Honda HP oil in the red bottle I have found works best. Make the shifting always smooth, last a long time and never had clutch issues.

Other motorcycle tranny fluids will work like the maxima, torco, motul, etc. But never found them to work as good as the Honda in the tranny.

For the engine oil, why use that cheap junk? You have a 6K bike, you really want to use cheap oil in it? Top ends are 1-2K to replace. Something to think about. I have always run Amsoil in my crank side.

Top Bottom