Oil for crank case/transmission

Marz

Apr 16, 2006
One more question everyone, finally received my manual and was reading about changing the transmission/crank case oil. It say to use 10w 40 oil, is this just standard automotive grade 10w 40 oil or is it some special motobike oil. By the way the bike is a 97 RM250.

Thanks

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I've use ATF in 2 strokes for a long time and it's served me very well. If I'm changing it often such as after a rebuild I go with inexpensive Type F and change it after every ride for the first 2 or 3. My normal ATF is Amsoil synthetic that I'll run for several rides between changes.

dirtbikegeek

Apr 14, 2006
I usually use 5W10 royal purple synthetic gear box oil.It even says on the back for use in two stroke engines also(or something like that).

96 cr 125

+30

Aug 2, 2005
This is a huge tech-debate that has tons of interesting info, go to search do advanced search titles only on "atf"--Its seems like there is alot of support for atf-type f but everyone agrees no matter what you run change it often.

Marz

Apr 16, 2006
Thanks to everyone for all of the replies, I had no idea that you could use ATF in the crankcase. When you say change it often is changing it after every ride to extreme. Keep in mind I may go out for a couple hours at a time and it's not very hard riding at all.

dmdee99

Apr 24, 2006
Can you use ATF in a 4 stroke also. I have a rm250 and a an old xr200r. I don't want to buy to different oils for the two bikes. I want to switch to ATF and was wondering if I could ATF for both bikes.

+30

Aug 2, 2005
Marz,
Changing after every ride is ideal, but you can get away with every few rides especially if your not a clutch abuser, some people let it go a good while, but they are asking for clutch problems or worse. I have not done the atf thing yet so cant supply any testimonials or anything on it, been using the honda oil and maxima both have been fine. This topic keeps coming up, the search has tons of good posts on it :cool: .

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
dmdee99 said:
Can you use ATF in a 4 stroke also. I have a rm250 and a an old xr200r. I don't want to buy to different oils for the two bikes. I want to switch to ATF and was wondering if I could ATF for both bikes.

I would not run ATF in a fourstroke as the oil gets a lot hotter. In a two-stroke, only the clutch and transmission are lubricated by the oil, the crank and top end get lubed by the oil in the gas. Fourstrokes are entirely lubricated from the oil in the sump. I've used 10W-40 and 20W-50 in my XR200R for 4 seasons with no troubles.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
The cam lobes, buckets, and the plain bearings of the 4T needs some extra protection that the ATF cannot provide.

Best bang for the buck would be to use HDEO or "diesel" oils. Delvac, Delo, Rotella, are all good choices and available at WalMart. 15w-40 or 5w-40 for the group III synthetic offerings of each.

Type F ATF has a coefficient of friction when the revs are high that is opposite of how Dexron/Mercon type atf;s work. Most riders won;t notice a difference, but a racer just may.
Only use TypeF ATF in a 2T.

I like to change out with 2-4 hours of running.
Moto specific oils are good oils, but NOT worth the price they charge, and they often make the change-out less frequent because of the price.

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
I agree with speedy maniac and jaybird. ATF is like 7-1/2 weight viscosity. I would never dream of using it as engine oil in either a 2 or 4 stk.

My gearboxes get Castrol 30w...period. I do however use Dexron II in my forks.(Since I found out about it in about '84) Works excellent and saves lots of bucks. Do not use Type F for forks!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom