Brit Chris

Aug 16, 2005
HELP!!!!

Hi All

Hope every one is ok

I am having a hell of a time trying to get my oil to fuel ratio right for my 1996 KX250 in all the books it says to mix it at 32:1 but that just resulted in a big cloud and a lot of gunk so i tried to lean it out a bit so now i have reduced it down to 30ml of oil to 5 lts of fuel but it is still a bit smokey and im a bit scared to reduce the oil any further and was looking at re-jetting the carb. Could any one out there give me and advice

Hope to hear from anyone soon
Chris uk

:bang:

+30

Aug 2, 2005
My properly jetted bike smokes a good bit untill warm, and I do get black "spooge" as well-just not tons of it. Do you know your stock jetting vs what your setting are now? I wouldnt keep reducing the oil to try to fix the smoke.Go back to 32:1 or so , some guys run 40:1 in a 250 but I think if you ride hard that may be just a little on the thin side...still lots of people do it. Personally Ive run 36:1 for a long time and no problems with pistons/rings.Go the jetting route, small changes at first. Have you checked your plug? get the bike warmed up find a wide open area get up into say 3rd on the gas chop and kill it. ck your plug.That will give you an idea how your main is. Also if the bikes been lugged you may have a little extra built up oil in the case (like mine had when I bought it) If your not fouling plugs constantly I wouldnt suspect a crank seal, so imho Id say your on the right track with going after the jetting. btw curious what oil u run?

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Yes, different oils require different ratios. I think that petroleums usually like 32:1 while synthetics like 40:1. This is not an absoulute fact. I run 40:1 Motul 800 in my 04 KX250. Do choose your jetting based on your fuel. Do not choose your fuel based on jetting.

Brit Chris

Aug 16, 2005
Hi all

thanks for all your advise at the moment i have the bike set as follows main jet=165 pilot jet=45 and jet needle is set position 3 the oil i am using is silkolene comp2 pre mix( synthetic)

any further help you could give me would be great

Once again thank
Chris

breezeair

Feb 8, 2006
your problem most likely is jetting not fuel oil ratio. i had the same problem until i got my bike jetted properly. 40:1 klotz techniplate tc-w3. very little smoke, almost no spooge and never foul a plug.

+30

Aug 2, 2005
bikercrazy, wow! 25:1? on your next piston change turn the bike upsidedown into a drip pan and youll have another quart of premix.--- :laugh: seriously though, i have heard of Pastrana doing 28:1 I wonder how many people use this much oil?

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
JETTING - JETTING - JETTING
Seems like we are constantly beating this horse, it has got to be getting tired !!

Brit Chris

Aug 16, 2005
Hi All

Thanks for all the advice but i am not the best spark plug in the box can you tell me how many mils of oil i would need to put in 5 litre

+30

Aug 2, 2005
1ml=1/1000 liter or 1000ml=1liter
?ml of oil x 32parts fuel = 5000ml ------which is 5 liters fuel of course
5000ml/32=156ml oil per 5 liters gas
or if you wanted to use 36:1 ratio
then
5000ml/36=138ml :cool:

also if needed liters to gallons
liters x .26417
gallons to liters
g x 3.79

try your local dealer for a "ratio - rite " measuring cup, or similar item, makes things so much easier at the pump.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Following that, if you want to run 40:1 it's 5000/40=125. This is way easier that trying to figure out how much for 5 gallons. Wait, no it not, I just pull out my ratio rite and pretend that I am mixing 2.5 gallons at 20:1. Make five gallons just right.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
It's quicker my way, same result achieved. Hey, do you put in the oil before the gas? I try to mix 4 gal at a time in a 5 gal can, before I run empty. I add the oil at the house, then drive to the station and put in the gas. The turbulence does a pretty good job of mixing without me having to shake the can like it's the neighbors kid. Then I drive to the track, letting the road mix the oil even better, before I put it in the bike. When I do have enough fuel in the can, I still wait until I get to the track before topping off the tanks. If the road was overly smooth, I shake the fuel up a little, but the usual practice track is about 1/4 mile down a holy(sp?) dirt road.

Top Bottom