Oil Quality and Quantity

Homer88

Jun 8, 2001
I use Mobil Extra 2T which is a semi-synethtic 2 stroke oil at a ratio of 1:30.

I've been using it for quite some time now without any problem.
Burns clean, piston looks okay.

How would a fully synthetic oil benefit me?
How does it offers better protection?

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
You'll benifent very little from using a synthetic. Maybe alittle better ring life if you run it at the right ratio and jetting is dailed in but a semi-synthetic will offer about jsut as much protection if not the same.

125 rider

Sponsoring Member
Oct 1, 2000
I think you would benefit from switching that ratio around, it will cost less to go riding too :thumb: :cool:

Rockey5000

Mod Ban
May 6, 2002
Not always corect, It all depends on the oil

Homer88

Jun 8, 2001
:worship: 30 part gas 1 part oil

Anyway, I was just wondering wat are the benefits that fully synthetic will give for a dirt bike? If I frequently WOT the bike, will it save me from hurling my ass??? I think my jetting is spot on with my current setup.

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
A synthetic will protect better at higher RPMs then a semi-synthetic will. If you do alot of constant high RPM riding then I would give a good synthetic oil a try.

Homer88

Jun 8, 2001
Thanks for all the re-assurance.

I remembered an email from the Maxima guys. Something like if Ricky Carmichael is using their semi-synthetic oil and has no problem, wat you gotta worry abt??? :thumb:

2000SE

May 7, 2002
Well ..Carmichael for one probably gets an engine rebuild everyday (for free)...I do not so I run everything fully synthetic...

Last edited:

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Originally posted by Homer88
Thanks for all the re-assurance.

I remembered an email from the Maxima guys. Something like if Ricky Carmichael is using their semi-synthetic oil and has no problem, wat you gotta worry abt??? :thumb:

Ya but Ricky also gets new topends after every 2 or so races! Like I said before a synthetic oil will give a longer ring life and protection on engines running at constant high RPMs. BTW did RC switch to Maxima after the jump to Team Honda cause I beleive he was using the very expensive Castrol synthetic oil..? :worship: :flame:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…