Using direct injection oil as premix

cheapo

Mar 10, 2003
General question related to 2 stroke oil. So I have 2 gallons of unopened XPS E-tec 2T, fully synthetic oil which I used in my 2001 Sea-Doo jetski, which had direct injection oil- so a separate tank for the 2-stroke oil. The jetski was scrapped due to mechanical failure and now I have the left over unopened oil. What are the thoughts of using this oil as premix in my 2000 KDX 200? I’ve heard/read the following two (2) theories after searching online:

1. No problem, use it. 2 stroke oil is 2 stroke oil
2. Direct injection (DI) oil can be used as premix, but not the other way around. The DI is often a little thinner.

Either way, sounds ok to use it, but don’t want to risk engine failure in order to save $60 on a gallon of new premix. However if ok, may as well use it. Interesting enough, the normal Klotz I use (TC-W2) is noted to be used as premix or DI. So it goes to the theory of “ok to use DI oil as premix”. Thoughts from the 2-stroke community?

Thank you in advance!

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
BTW, I have heard some say that premix only oil is better at protecting the engine since it is more viscous but all of the fuel injected race bikes use thinner injection oil and there doesn't seem to be a problem.

cheapo

Mar 10, 2003
Thank you for the input! Yeah, I've spoken to numerous people (maintenance tech at jet-ski shop, etc) and they all seem to think it's ok. But once I read it is "thinner" oil, I get worried about long term protection/damage. The safest thing is to just buy more pre-mix, but then the 2 gallons ($70 per gallon) of DI oil is staring at me in the garage....

Top Bottom