Oil Question for 2S Rebuild and Breakin

magneto

Nov 14, 2001
Do you oil the cylinder and piston skirts when you re-assemble a 2-stroke top end? I seem to recall reading a long time ago that oil in this area would glaze the cylinder wall and not let the rings seat properly. Eric Gorr suggests oiling the rings during reassembly in his book but doesn't mention whether the cylinder and skirts should be coated.
Also, is 100% synthetic oil appropriate for breakin on a 2 stroke? (I have an antiquated steel cylinder liner in a CR500.)

Stew312

Jul 8, 2002
I usually only rub a small amount of oil on the ring so it slides in better, but nothing else. I have had no problems with this method in the past.

SiCnTwIsTdYz

Apr 10, 2002
oil the spot where the piston ring goes onto before you put the piston ring in, and than oil the skirt,oil the small end bearing and than the wrist pin, the oil i use is marvel mystery oil, but if you cant get that than try any 2 stroke engine oil you should be straight :)

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I also use Marvel Mystery Oil, like Sic does, at rebuild. It holds up well at high temps.
I've always felt that a good rub down of the jug wall with scotch brite pad is a must. Some use a ball hone to deglaze.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…