Oil spitting out of the pipe.

skos

Jan 24, 2009
Oil spitting out of the pipe.

I have a lot of oil coming out of my muffler. I am thinking I have 1 of 2 issues.

I may have over mixed the oil or my silencer is packed & need replacing.

What do you guys think?

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
I am far from an expert like some of these guys, but I have the same issue on my RM.
From what I understand, it could be any of the following:

Carb jetted wrong
Mix too thick (notice I didnt say rich)
Leaky crank seal.

Do you notice your gear oil is disappearing?

skos

Jan 24, 2009
gear oil or engine oil. have not checked gear oil but I change the engine oil about every 3rd ride.

It ran with out any issues last year. I think I may have mixed on the heavy or non rich side on my 1st tank this year

2stroker_88

Jan 3, 2009
Hey, sounds like you need to rejet. Oil coming from the silencer is very common with all 2 strokes, i have had the same deal on my '01 YZ 125. Repacking the silencer will also help.

skos

Jan 24, 2009
2stroker_88 said:
Hey, sounds like you need to rejet. Oil coming from the silencer is very common with all 2 strokes, i have had the same deal on my '01 YZ 125. Repacking the silencer will also help.

rejet the carb?
has anyone tried to clean the jets?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Make drastic changes to the jetting circuits 1 at a time, so you can tell the difference. A little lean should not harm the engine for a few seconds to tell how it runs. Also, if it makes no change you know you have a problem elsewhere. Jetting is easy, work arounds are useless. Buy a jetting kit, or 3 each way. They are worth their weight in gold for an investment.There are 2 main brands, thats it! http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=159938&highlight=spanky's+jetting+guide

PRM

Mar 19, 2009
Your jetting is way too rich. Start leaning it out with the main and pilot jets. You're probably two sizes away at a minimum based on your description. Once you fix the jetting (nice golden brown plug) you can repack the muffler.

2strokesrock

Oct 7, 2008
skos said:
gear oil or engine oil. have not checked gear oil but I change the engine oil about every 3rd ride.

It ran with out any issues last year. I think I may have mixed on the heavy or non rich side on my 1st tank this year

Two strokes DO NOT HAVE engine oil. they have gear oil for the transmission.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
PRM said:
Your jetting is way too rich. Start leaning it out with the main and pilot jets. You're probably two sizes away at a minimum based on your description. Once you fix the jetting (nice golden brown plug) you can repack the muffler.
In order to get the jetting perfect you need to repack the silencer first then rejet. The little bit of oil you spit in it rejetting will not affect the new packing

flapwick

Dec 30, 2008
Are you "bogging"the bike?(is that still a word?It was in the 70's!)My son is just learning to ride a 2 stroke,and both his RM85 and his YZ80 are "splooge"(which was not a word in the 70's!) shooting spectaculars! The YZ more so than the RM,as the YZ has a more toggleswitch type "schmeckendorf"(a word I made up in the 70's,but I feel still applies),and my son is still a little "gorpenflugel"(still not a word) when the bike is about to hit that schmeckendorf.(see previous usage).So he "bogs"(see Websters Dictionary under "lug" for help in deciphering)the bike much of the time. He'll learn.

skos

Jan 24, 2009
Here is what I did to resolve the issue.

Repacked my silencer. It was packed with oil.
Put in fresh mixed 30:1
Found the Throttle stop screw was almost complexly out. Readjusted.

She screams now again. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

murf007

Dec 16, 2008
Check your plug.........Go for a long hard core wide open ride........maybe just before you do that re pack silencer, take the expansion chamber off bike and heat it with a gas torch (while proforming this work the expansion chamber will be on fire internally) be careful not to blow a hole in chamber from the gas getting to close. As you work your way around the pipe the old carbon and oil will burn off. You should end up with a clean pipe on the inside but the outside will need a new paint job. Re assemble with newly re packed silencer and ride normally. If the bike starts to spooge oil again on of two options re jet or hold it wide open!!!!!!!!

Good luck.

Top Bottom