ATF...it's cheap and effective.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Originally posted by Jaybird
ATF...it's cheap and effective.

Same here.  Not even the name brand.  Cheap brand X Type F.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I tend to use Motul oils but have in the past used Silkolene, Putolene and others-i cannot do any real world testing(one against another)as i dont have the set up to prove one oil over another.I have to go on local knowledge telling me which oils are good.We cannot get ATF here for a good price as most of our cars are manuals.I like a thinner oil for a shock than 7.5wt.

slideways11

Sponsoring Member
Apr 18, 2000
Mobile 1 synthetic ATF.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
I too use the M1 Syn ATF.  It is cheap and readily available.  Good for tuning, as I don't feel bad dumping it after 1-2 days testing, so that I can change shim stacks yet again ;)  If I ever do get things sorted out to my liking, I will likely go to Motul.

russ17

Aug 27, 2002
Isn't that Mobile 1 SYN ATF 7.5wt if so what are you thinning it out with to make it 5wt or2.5wt .

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
?? No thinning, straight up. Yes, it is heavier than 5wt, somewhere around 7wt.

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
I have an MX Tech piston and shim stack in my Husky rear shock. The shock works well, however it is just a tick on the harsh side. I originally used Mobil 1 ATF and I switched to 3 viscosity BelRay. The BelRay is considerably thinner in my "high tech" shake the bottle test. The results of the switch (so far) is that there is no significant change in feel or adjustment (clicker) position. The Mobil 1 oil came out perfectly clean and debris free.

By the way, I had the shock bore plated with NiCom in a successful attempt to extend the bore life.

Chris

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Sachs Shock ?or older Showa ? Ive been doing this to some minis also and I beleive it helps .

ohvrider

Nov 4, 2002
I'm wondering if you guys running atf service your forks after every race or what? I run 'very light' BelRay in my shock due to L-O-N-G service life. It won't break down as fast as heavier fluids. Forks are a different story. I run PJ1 because its availible over the counter local and comes in different weights for tuning my non-adjustable forks.

ml36

Aug 27, 2001
from what i've found, atf holds up much better than fork oil. i change it about every 6 months, depending circumstances like leaking seals and what not.

ml36

Aug 27, 2001
i disagree ohvrider, heavier oil does not break down faster than lighter oil. can somebody verify this?

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
I may stand to be corrected, but I don't think viscosity has anything to do with breakdown (in this sense at least).

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Im not sure on the answers to these questions but i think im right in saying a thinner oil will not change its viscocity much(it cant really as it can only get so thin) most tuners seem to run 2.5wts in shocks.Wps demand 2.5wt.I think breaking down of the oil is determined by its base package and heat generated by the shock.The Wps run hotter than most shocks.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Marcus is right an oil with a lower VI rating will lose less that is why most like GP road race teams use like 0 or 2.5 weight so less chance of fade . I think oil breakdown is relevant to the oils ingredients and qualities more than anything . Im sure tekkie guys like Rich and others know more .

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Shocknut knows more about oil than about anyone I know... To reconfirm, genally the longer life fluids have a sysnthetic orgin, however the syns have a lower natualry ocuring VI, so you gain you lose.. Addtives are bad as they generaly cause oxidation and hence your VI goes up but your life goes down.. Its a intresting equation..

I think the best idea is the RR concept of a shock warmer..
BR,
Jer

russ17

Aug 27, 2002
Any fluid will fade as it warms.But we are not talking about fluid break down here. A shocks greatest dampaning loss( due to fade) was from ambient to warm up and was significally less from average operating temps to extreme heat Quote : Jeff Howe

VI-Is a measure of what the oil can handle in terms of temp stability

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Yup, Russ17 Vi is a measure of poupoint when heated originally by some guy called Saebolt; Saebolts universal seconds . Id like to find like the best quality not highest priced fluids available . Just wondering what you folks like to use ?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…