Okay To Run A Stock Cylinder With Modified Head?

RADAMS

Nov 22, 2002
Recently, I had Eric bore and port my 91 RM 250's cylinder - for pump gas. After two rides, I blew it up again - lean condition. I have a big hunk of Nikasil missing from the cylinder wall. Until I can get the cylinder replated, I was wondering if I could run a stock cylinder with Eric's modified head?

EricGorr

Super Power AssClown
Aug 24, 2000
Yes no problem, it will be a little flat down low because the compression will be lower.
Did you find the lean problem? Check the rubber intake manifoild for cracks like from dry rotting. Remember the bike is over a decade old.
Also check the left side crank seal for leaks. That model has a neopreme seal, not Teflon coated like the new bikes. The neopreme can be damaged by Ethanol additives in fuel, and since you live in California MTBE was banned last year and Ethanol was used in its place in pump fuels.
Send me the old piston, maybe I can figure out exactly what went wrong.

RADAMS

Nov 22, 2002
Eric: I will send the piston with the cylinder. I haven't found the lean problem yet. The first outing after the mod was installed, the thing ran great. In fact after the Break-In Period, it seemed to be running a little fat on the bottom. I raised the needle up a notch - it ran great after that. After the change, I got the bike wide-open - killed it - and check the plug. No sign of a lean condition. Two weeks later I went back to the same place - used the same gas, same oil, and same ratio. The bike fired right and seemed to be running great. Went for a long ride and noticed when I stopped it was acting like it was running out of fuel (ying - ying - ying). As I was heading back to camp, it started bogging. I replaced the Main Jet with the next size up and fired it up. It seemed to be running better. I decided to go on a little test ride - I never made it back... I should also mention that at the same time I put the modified cylinder on, I also installed a V-Force Reed Block...

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Sounds like maybe a airleak at the reed junction-i always use a gasket with the v force even though on some models(CR125) they have a moulded in o ring on the reed boot.

RADAMS

Nov 22, 2002
I also used a gasket. The boot itself is in good shape - even being more that eleven years-old. I know because I had to modify for the V-Force to work...

sean

Apr 26, 2000
Sounds like it's time to do a leak down test. A fresh motor should be able to hold 8 lbs. for 10 minutes without ANY loss of air.

Sean

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…