schcycle

Jan 12, 2005
Hey guys, my shop recieved a letter from the Ok tax commision that says that sales tax will no longer be collected on any off-highway vehicle(dirtbikes, fourwheelers). Instead a buyer must now register the vehicle and pay an excise tax so to eliminate buying out of state to avoid taxes. The only ememption to this is a buyer wiht a farm permit. I called the commision to ask questions but they did not have many answers. From what it sounds like bikes sold after july,1 2005 must now display permit stickers like CA. Has anybody bought a bike since then and experianced this? Could someone just not register it? If I hear more I will let you know.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
we've been taking about this on the oklahoma board. i read the bill earlier today as a matter of fact. i believe it's any bike or atv sold after jan. 1, 2006.

i don't see why you couldn't just not register it but then whoever buys it from you would be running the risk of buying a stolen bike (which they are anyway). it was a former cop that authored this legislation.

i look at it as just another tax on the working man. the money collected goes into the general fund.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
they told me today that if you already owned it before july 1, it didn't have to be registered, it's optional. they also said the fee is a one time thing as long as you own the bike, not an annual fee. if you buy a bike after july 1, you have to register it and pay excise tax (3.5%).

schcycle

Jan 12, 2005
I recieved clarification from the tax commision. It is just an excise tax to be paid. There is nothing put on the bike to show that it has been registered. The catch is that if a bike bought after july 1, 2005 is not registered then it is sold to someone that does go and register it, the original owner is still liable for the taxes and any penalties.

Top Bottom