Mar 16, 2007
i did a search but didnt really find anything, why do you guys say not to use old gas? I have about 5 gallons of already mixed gas thats been siting there for maybe 5 months. If I add 5 more gallons of new mixed gas with the old stuff will it all be ok?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
HubertGarfunkleIII said:
i did a search but didnt really find anything, why do you guys say not to use old gas? I have about 5 gallons of already mixed gas thats been siting there for maybe 5 months. If I add 5 more gallons of new mixed gas with the old stuff will it all be ok?

It really depends on the container that gas is stored in. If it's plastic, forget it. If it's a steel container that seals well, it might be safe to use.

But, since it's mixed, I wouldn't use it.

Find something else that you can use it in.

I usually will use my excess gas from a weekend of riding in my truck. But, I never take more gas than I think I'll be able to use in a weekend. I'd never mix 5 gallons at a time!! Thats wasting premix oil.

There are discussions on here about what happens to gas after it sits for long periods of time.. What I have read has to do with the gasoline losing the light hydrocarbons over time. And what I read, on here somewhere, was that the time that it takes for there to be a significant loss is pretty short.

psycho

King Rot-Gut
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2000
I use it in the lawn mower and haven't had too many issues. Smokes some and runs a little rough.. but hey! It's a lawn mower!

Top Bottom