older(1997 or so) vs newer 2 strokes?

ckassen

Jun 26, 2007
How much better is the performance on the newer 04-05 2 strokes compaired to the older ones? There is no particular reason why I am asking. I just never hear about a new designed 2-stroke. Are they all the same(within reason) with just better plastics and less weight, or have there been big changes? Not really brand specific, but I am more of a honda/suzuki guy :cool: Just something that I have wondered about...

CarnageZ28

Mar 25, 2008
01' and up YZ's have a throttle position sensor to run a more aggressive timing table.

mojave ron

Dec 25, 2006
well i had an 04 rm250,a guy we were riding with had about a 94-96? wr250.motor wize they were suprisingly close..niether one stock..imo the real changes are almost all chassis/suspension..my old 96 cr250 could drag race any 450 and easily hold its own..but it sure felt dated in the handling department..

tyler_43

Jun 22, 2007
yeah since like 05 and up none of the two strokes have really changed save KTM, gasgas and TMracing. Even before 05 the changes were mostly chassis... some porting changes, different carbs (like the TPS mentioned etc.) But not a huge difference. In the last 3 years the big four have employed BNG (Bold New Graphics) as their only changes... save Yamaha putting the petal brake rotors off of the four strokes on the yz125/250.

CarnageZ28

Mar 25, 2008
Honda actually isnt even making an 08' 250 2-Stroke. Or so I was told yesterday at the Honda House, a dealership in Pittsburgh ... It really pisses me off. While I can see why someone likes the smooth more usable power of a 4-Stroke, I feel like I have more fun on a violent, thrashing, brutal 2-Stroke lol.

ckassen

Jun 26, 2007
I think that 2-strokes could stay alive if the big manufacturers would spend some money on them to improve the motors on them(anything can be reengineered to produce more power). They are just focusing on the 4-strokes....

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
ckassen said:
I think that 2-strokes could stay alive if the big manufacturers would spend some money on them to improve the motors on them(anything can be reengineered to produce more power). They are just focusing on the 4-strokes....

They make more money off the 4 strokes, so they put more r&d into them.

CarnageZ28

Mar 25, 2008
The only reason they make more money on them is because their selling more of them. You cant honestly tell me is cheaper to manufacture a hi-po 4 stroke than it is to build a 2-stroke ...

And 2-Strokes dont need reengineered to make more power, they need to smooth out the powerband, thats all. You run a 250 2-Stroke, with mild porting, and an efficient power valve design, and it will still run circles around the hottest 250 4-Strokes. And have 1/4 as many moving parts inside it, be lighter, less prone to running hot, etc.

Everyone is about smooth usable power nowadays rather than the hardest hitting powerbands like in the past. You want to see a revival of the 2-Strokes, I think they would hit home with a 350-500ish CC 2-Stroke, with a very mild port job and slick powervalve set up like the electronic hondas. Something that makes around the same peak power as the hottest 250's do now, but it would do it smoother and be easier to ride, and it would have torque as a function of displacement ... That would give the big 4-strokes a run for their money on the market. And once someone starts modding, it would lay the smack down on the track too lol.

Top Bottom