one more question about preload

kdxmann

Dec 21, 2002
i have read in threads that to measure preload u have to take stock springs out put in new ones and screwthe fork cap on and measure the distance between top of spring and bottom of fork cap.is it the same to just measure from top of spring to top of tube then subtract the length of the cap that goes intothe tube??? thanx by the way i have an 01kawasaki kdx200 and the springs r .42 frp

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Hi there! It's me again! :p

What you describe, if done correctly will indeed accomplish the same thing.

The first method is a direct measurement of what you need.

The second is a bit roundabout.

The more roundabout something is, the more likely the chance of an error being committed!

It's six of one, 1/2 dozen of the other.

Got those springs in yet?

kdxmann

Dec 21, 2002
yep got them three days ago it says to use stock every thing but not oil. if i dont change the fork oil what will happen will i gain som of the stiffness back if i used more preload. i want to jump what would be good for that in means of fork and shock adjustment i weigh 190 lb if that helps

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: oil

The oem oil is generally considered to be junk. Besides, seal life and general fork action will benefit from an oil change. MX-tech recommends mobil1 ATF for home use.

Adding preload is not much of a way to add stiffness. You would be better served using a thicker fork oil for that (buy some belray oil). Fill to a relatively high oil level, say 90mm or so.

The best option for making the kdx a jumper is to excise the 'd' in the middle. Which is to say, buy a bike in the first place that's more of a jumper.

Like a KX.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom