~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Get some airplane gas instead.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Get some airplane gas instead.
uhh... unless you like crappy throttle response, plan to ride at low rpms and at 10,000 feet, that's not the best idea.

The questions are:

1) WHY do you want to use octane booster?

2) Do you think you're likely the first person to ask this question? The search function will return hundreds, if not thousands of posts about octane boosters, race gas, pump gas, etc.

mongial

Oct 28, 2006
I got it...Just read the thread where Rich and ThumpidyThump went at it..Thanks for the heads up. It beats the hell out of reading hundreds of posts. :coocoo:

letsride24-7

Aug 10, 2006
Okiewan said:
uhh... unless you like crappy throttle response, plan to ride at low rpms and at 10,000 feet, that's not the best idea.

Now i'm just curious, but when i run Av-gas i never noticed any crappy response. Most of the time i mix it with 94 or VP is this why?.. Is there any tests that show this? My elevation goes between 2000-10000 feet. I just make changes to the air screw sometimes...

Zenith

Jan 11, 2001
I ran it in the past and never noticed any throttle response issues. Maybe I'm just not as sensitive to these things as some, or maybe pump gas is so lousy these days that the throttle response is just as bad using it. Regardless, if you're looking for a cheap highish octane fuel I wouldn't rule out 100LL Blue. Though as Okie said it would be handy to know why you're asking. If you just need the cheapest solution to a detonation problem the 100LL may be an option (though in the long run having the head modified to sort out the problem would be cheaper again), but if you're looking to build a motor to get maximum horse power you'd be better off aiming for one of the appropriate race fuels.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Zenith said:
I ran it in the past and never noticed any throttle response issues. Maybe I'm just not as sensitive to these things as some, or maybe pump gas is so lousy these days that the throttle response is just as bad using it.

Give that man a prize for discovering one of the ugly truths about modern pump fuel. :cool:

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Okiewan said:

I use pump gas for MX. When I was riding a trial bike however, it was fed with av gas. The throttle response was thousands of times better and I could really feel a difference, it stopped pinging also. So it actually sucks in MX? Because of high RPM's I guess?

Top Bottom