Opinions wanted - where live in the USA

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
gH,
I you would like to know more send me a PM.

BS

jly51

Mar 5, 2001
I live in west Tennessee and agree with eastern Tennessee,western North Carolina,Virginia,north Georgia.I`ve never dirt ridden there but go there on my street bikes every chance i get.Don`t know about real estate prices there but here you could buy a your own riding area and have plenty left for a large home.

NDRO RDR

May 11, 2000
Look at Northern New Mexico. Land is pretty cheap, Albuquerque is only about 1-2 hours. You have mountains, trees, lakes and streams. And it is absolutely beautiful. It does get a bit cold in the winter, but rarely gets above 90 in the summer.

HTH

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Originally posted by HiG4s

Don't let the fact that that part of North America has the least amount of sunshine and the highest suicide rate worry you, just be happy.

I forgot to mention all of the rain, that's true, but that's what makes the grass grow. As for the highest suicide rate, I wasn't aware of that.. But I don't see how that plays into it being a bad place to live. The only thing I could ask for is less rain, but it's a great tradeoff for short mild winters, beautiful colors, and some of the best riding in the world.

oabike

May 15, 2001
GHunter - I used to pick up Outside Magazine every year when they came it with there 'Where to Live' edition. In 92 they rated Boise,Flagstaff,Asheville,Portland, Ventura,Beaufort S.C.,Traverse City and Cornwall as tops for an active lifestyle. In 99 it was Charlottesville, Santa Cruz,Portland,Franconia N.H.,Ann Arbor,Boulder and Portland, Maine.Try and find a book called the 50 Healthiest Places to Live in the US by Norman Ford. He ranked Boulder,Eugene, Ann Arbor, Madison and Chapel Hill as tops.
I lived in Santa Clarita for 10 years. I understand where you are coming from. I chose Santa Barbara because it allows me an active lifestyle. The local riding is very poor but I'm lucky enough to have an incredible group of friends and ride 2-4 times a week. The best trail riding I ever did was in the Allegheny Forest in Pennsylvania as a kid. My dream would be to live in SB from Nov to May and live in western Pa/NY in the summer.

"When we move, we bring our attitudes,ideas and images with us,wherever we go".

CAB

Nov 18, 1999
Just stay away from Arizona- it sucks here....whole damn state is desert.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Timr mentioned Lexington, Kentucky...I have one better and that's Lousiville, Kentucky (although Lexington is a fine area...just a lil more costly than Louisville). I'm biased of course, but it is one of the best cities one can live in or around. It has actually made the top ten best places to live several years of the last decade. Some of the best property for the money in the country. You'd be amased at what you could do with 500k here as opposed to what you can do in CA. or anywhere else for that matter.
It fits all your critieria save for maybe the temp. It may not snow at all here in winter but it may snow three feet also. Can dip down to teens and raise to 110+, and being on the Ohio river humidity is always high. Population is over 1 mil. in the metro area. Riding galore with multiple places for trails and several close mx choices. (Indiana just across the river with 20 mx tracks)

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by Jaybird
You'd be amased at what you could do with 500k here as opposed to what you can do in CA. or anywhere else for that matter.

who has 500k?

Sage

dirtbike riding roadracer
Mar 28, 2001
Almost where I live.

1. House must be big, at least 3000 sq.ft. and less than 10 years old.
2. Must include at least 5 acres of usable property - more preferred.
3. Home/property must cost less than $500,000.00
- No problem on those, for 500k you could be living pretty large!!

4. Must be within 60 minutes of a public airport, i.e major airlines use it.
Redmond has a smaller airport with United & Alaska service to bigger northwest terminials - Portland, Seattle....

5. Three or more distinct seasons per year.
No problem

6. No colder than 30s in winter, no warmer than 90s in summer, and moderate humidity.
Slight problem, get into the teens late at night sometimes in Jan & Feb, pretty dry year round

7. Below average crime rate.
The 10 O'clock news last about 15 min's and is mostly out of the area B.S.

8. Below average property/income tax rate.
Don't know I never owned a house in CA when I lived there, my house here is about $1500.00 per year for a 3 bed 2 bath 1400 sqft @$140,000 value house

9. Above average education system i.e. grade through high school.
Seems pretty good compared to the schools I went to in San Jose growing up, the things they have my 7 year old's class doing is mind blowing for a their age, but they hang in there, they are pushed pretty hard for there age IMO

10. Decent air quality.
check!

11. Decent off-road riding areas within 1 hour.
HA! try 15-20 min's

12. Trees and mountains are a definite plus.
13. Lakes and rivers are cool, too.
check!

14. No frequently occurring earthquakes/tornados/hurricanes.
We have some valcano thats suppost to wipe us all out soon, but I wouldn't worry about it. ;)

15. Anything else you can add!
You can go to the drake park in the summer & spirng and see real hippies straight from 60's, VW van's, hemp - the works!

year round powersports, bikes, watercraft, snowmobiles

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…