Holly Springs National Forest needs your help

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
I know I havent been around much anymore but I need your help on something.

The BRC and members of the Memphis Motorcycle club need youor help. We are in a legal battle with the National Forest Service in an attempt to keep our Holly Springs National Forest (mine and your national forest) open to OHV recreationalists. PLEASE take time out to go to the following Blue Ribbon Coaaliton link and send a note to the rangers in our behalf. Its a quick form letter that wont take but a minute. If you really are interested in our story read on below the link. This agency really has gone out of its way to keep us out.

Link

http://www.sharetrails.org/letters/letter.php?id=13

SITUATION:
Although almost all of Mississippi's Holly Springs National Forest is closed to motorized use, there is a small area near Chewalla Lake that is home to a modest dirt bike trail system. The trails have been in existence for a long time, some 25 years or more, and the Forest Service knew all about them.

After listening to the Forest Service continually complain about "off-trail" use (and lack of funding), the Memphis Motorcycle Club (MMC) applied for OHV Grant funds to build fencing, post signs and otherwise try to improve the "unmanaged" OHV use around Chewalla Lake. And sure enough, in full cooperation and coordination with the Forest Service, they got the funds.

Guess what happened next? The Forest Service refused to accept the funds! The RTP program was prepared to hand them $14 thousand to help stop what the Forest Service themselves said was a big problem -- and the Forest Service refused the money.

But that's not all. Not long after saying "no thanks" to $14 grand, the bureaucratic masterminds over at the Holly Springs NF tell the MMC guys that all of their trails have to be closed. Sorry, they say, no exceptions. But don't worry, they quickly add, they'll build a totally new, environmentally sustainable trail system soon! (At a cost of at least $22,000.00 per mile!).

No, really. They said that. It's on page 11 of the National Forests in Mississippi Travel Plan Environmental Assessment. (http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/mississippi/travel/index.shtml).

Allow me to go over that again, just so we are all clear. The super-geniuses at the HSNF refuse funds to fix a problem they identified, allowing the problem to continue, and then they close all of the trails used by the folks that got them the funds to fix the problem. And they actually expect us to believe that 'it's all good' because they'll be building totally NEW trails -- starting at $22 grand per mile.

If this weren't wrong on so many levels, it would be funny.

BRC is working with the Memphis Motorcycle Club and the American Motorcyclist Association to bring some oversight to this bureaucratic bungling. We are preparing solid grounds to challenge any permanent closure of the trails on the Holly Springs NF. Your letter, even a quick cut and paste form letter, will help!

WHAT YOU NEED TO DO:
Please send an email to the National Forests in Mississippi (NFIM). Use the comment suggestions below. Be sure to add a bit of personal information.

If you want, you can use BRC's letter generator. http://www.sharetrails.org/letters/letter.php?id=13. It has an easy interface for adding additional comments and sending your letter.

And YES! You can contribute to a Holly Springs defense fund. Go to http://www.sharetrails.org/fwd/holly-springs-fund. This link will re-direct you to our secure join/contribute page and will automatically fill out what your contribution is for.

INSTRUCTIONS:
Be polite. Be Professional. Be on time. (The comment deadline is Monday, June 23, 2008)

* Address your email to: pfsweeney@fs.fed.us

* In the Subject Line of your email, please put: "Comments on NFIM Travel Management EA"

* Paste in the name and address:
Paul Sweeney
Mississippi Route Designation, c/o ACT2
Enterprise Unit,
837 Clermont; Antigo, WI 54409

* It's always good to include a brief paragraph about how much you and your family enjoy motorized use on National Forest lands.

* Use the comment suggestions below in your email:

COMMENT:
The Holly Springs National Forest offers excellent motorized recreation opportunities. The Chewalla Lake area has had a motorized trail-based recreational niche for many decades. The agency has acknowledged that the demand for OHV riding opportunities on National Forests in Mississippi has increased dramatically in recent years. It therefore seems only appropriate that the agency consider at least one Alternative that addresses the need for increased OHV trails and reflects the motorized niche near the Chewalla Lake area.

COMMENT:
The motorized recreating public will not accept budgetary constraints as an excuse for route closures. Ironically, it is the motorized user community that has been successful in securing substantial funds for OHV management in the U.S.F.S. Southern Region. There are several grant and volunteer programs available, and the OHV community is committed to help provide the tools to address legitimate concerns about route maintenance. Therefore, my comment is that you address any legitimate maintenance concerns by incorporating a training protocol into your travel plan that would train agency staff on how to apply for grants, use the challenge cost share program, effectively manage volunteer programs, and learn about and apply for other funding sources. In addition, you might consider MOUs or other similar agreements with recreational groups, such as the Memphis Motorcycle Club.

COMMENT:
The extensive comments made by OHV users early in the process clearly show a need to consider the user-created trail system near Chewalla Lake. The agency is directed to consider a wide range of Alternatives that respond to issues and concerns brought to the agency by the public, especially those who will be directly affected by the decision. I simply cannot accept the process proceeding on its current course. I believe it is incumbent on the agency to formulate at least one Alternative that includes some sort of motorized trail system near Chewalla Lake.

COMMENT:
The NFIM Travel Plan EA errs in refusing to even consider one of the user-created trails in the Chewalla Lake area. This approach is not consistent with the spirit, if not the letter, of the agency's Travel Management Rule. In addressing a comment regarding treatment of "user-created routes," the agency stated, "ome user-created routes are well-sited, provide excellent opportunities for outdoor recreation by motorized and nonmotorized users alike, involve less environmental impact than unrestricted cross-country motor vehicle use, and would enhance the system of designated routes and areas."

flying flea

Mar 18, 2008
I thought that all of Holly Springs was closed. I'll do what i can to protect my riding areas, but personally, i don't think there is a chance for us.

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
It is closed for now. BUT if the lawuit holds up then we have a SMALL chance to re-open some of it. Its too good of a riding area to just sit by and let them close it. Your tax dollar going to waste if we do nothing.

R

ReleKeype

Did I understood correctly and the only park where I can ride a bike which is NOT street legal is the Sam Houston National Forest? I was hoping to go ride the Caddo-LBJ National Grasslands tomorrow but am not sure I can.Thanks for any advice.Mati

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
U.S.F.S. right to ride party pooper, infiltration, top to bottom.

Welcome to the world of extremist infiltration in what was our U.S. Forrest Service. Our adversaries have gone to work in the tax payer funded F.S., As SUPER HUNKY stated back in the 70's & 80's, these guys are just a bunch of bike hating party poopers*, that hate seeing any one simply riding down a trail , having some fun with their pals. They will stop at nothing to END all dirt riding in the U.S.. I fear that no amount of legal wrangling will stop what they started long ago. These folks are now living on your & my tax dollars to stand in our way & say you cannot ride here or over there or anywhere. More people ride O H V today than ever before, & there is less land to ride on than ever before, causing massive over use & damage. Not to mention dangerously crowded conditions.
This in my opinion is massive land use mismanagement, brought about by a pack of pretentious, capricious, hidden agenda low lifes, hell bent on ending an entire industry, not to mention our right to ride, both off road & on road. A guy at the A M A stated, he did not see the relationship between the U S beef embargo & a 100% import tarriff on most brands of european motorcycles sent here. That is the result of lobbying at the highest level, the willingness of all our adversaries of motorcycling to use the entire motorcycling industry as a sacrificial lamb, to increase profits for the U S beef industry. (Which is not hurting to begin with) Thus making it so expensive to ride that probably 70% of us would not be able to afford to ride any more. 10 more years of this in my estimation, will require traveling to canada or mexico to go ride.
It's a good thing that the Ca. desert protection act was not in place during WW2. If so Murock A. F. B. would not have been allowed to exist. ( now known as Edwards A. F. B./ Dryden Flight Research Center) Imagine the out come of that!
Last new years there was non - motorcyclist vigilantes driving around in their 4 wheel drive SUV's in our deserts, making sure that no one was even camping, let alone riding in the mojave desert, a place that I have ridden for the last 40 some odd years.
Don't ya just love it, DO AS THEY SAY & NOT AS THEY DO. :bang: :bang: :yell: :pissed: :fft:
Thanks for enduring my rant, Best regards to ya, Porkchop...
*= another word that my dear & lovely made me not use, NATURE ------, fill in as you will. ADIOS AMIGOS

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Can't add nuthin' to that Porkchop.

Dead on! :cool:

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
More of p-chops rant

And then, there is the Burro of land mismanagement & the department of the inferior ! ( I'm not sure who tells who what to do in these entities.) The names have been changed to hide the guilty & keep em off my ass so I don't have to go rent Super Hunky's house in Rosarita Beach. Look at all the grief that CRAMMSTONE & FINESTONE caused him,
thru other entities of big bro. Please don't get me started, but it's too late for my blood is already boiling. I can see why Mr. Hannah turned his
interests to aviation in Idaho. Have a great day gentlemen, Porkchop...
:yell: :yikes: :bang:

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
mini rant

Here's a novel idea, even though this thread is old here goes. Ca claims to be broke most of the time, our economy has blown a rod, the greenies are hell bent on ending the motorcycle industry & many others it seems, soon politicians are going to be the only people with jobs if our pres has his way, the feds are now in the auto business & wants to be in the healthcare business, Haiti got flattened & needs help desperately & Cuba could use some help too, WHAT A CLUSTER F---!
So...the US needs to offer up statehood to cuba, build a steel & re-bar plant in Haiti& offer them statehood too so they can put up new buildings that are way stronger & have a chance to deal with quakes & sell off Ca. back to Mexico to pay for it all.
At that point, the sierra club will fail to have the influence on any thing, because the Pres of Mexico will tell them to go pound sand ! Similar to our economy Mexico's tourism trade is in the tank too & needs help, this may help. "Just another out of the box idea." Sometimes it's better to ask forgiveness after an idea is successful, than it is to beg for permission prior to trying. :yikes:

Last edited:
Top Bottom