Orignial Suzuki Full-Floater Suspension System

mxrider952

Feb 26, 2007
I was wondering if anyone out there had a diagram of the original Full-Floater suspension system. I'm doing some research on this design and have been unable to find much useful information on the net. If anyone knows where I could locate diagrams, drawings, pictures, etc. I would really appreciate any help you could give me.

Thanks in advance!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Start with a patent search.

elcamino12sec

Jan 16, 2006
I use to have a 1983 RM with the Full Floater rear in my high school days. I dont know what type of information you are looking for but I remember my shop manual had allot of diagrams and pictures of the rear suspension. I remember quite well, espically when I had to rebuild the entire system with new needle bearings, collars, shafts and seals. It was quite and intresting system, and inovative of its time. I would recomend purchasing a manual for the early 80's RM 125-250, I think they started the "Full Floater" design in 1980 and changed it around 1985 or 1986. Hope this helps.

kx125412

Mar 30, 2006
Bike bandit has some pretty good diagrams im not sure how detailed you want to get. If you posted this a couple weeks ago I could've taken some detailed pictures with measurements.

kawamaha

Mar 16, 2005
when Honda started with their ProLink (the first progressive linkage) the other had to follow but due to the honda patent they have to develop their own systems. Yamaha had a linkage called MonoCross, basically the same as the ProLink, let's call it "pulled-lever-linkage". Kawasaki and Suzuki made a "pushed-lever-linkage". Kawa (uni trak) mounted the shock on the frame while Suzuki mounted it on the swing-arm, so thats why they called it "full floater". Today all the linkage is based on the ProLink System.
The full floater has a cushion lever which is activated by a rod with a angle of approx. 90°. when bouncing in the angle becomes smaller and the lever moves faster the smaller the angle gets (that's physics).
on the other side of the lever the same thing happens vice versa. the shock is compressed
only little at the beginning with a small angle. the bigger the angle (just until 90°)
the more travel of the shock.
I have a drawing on my site:
www point supercross-online point de/fullfloater.jpg

the drawing on the right side explains why this works progressive. pic A: for better understanding I start with an angle of 0°. turn the lever 30° and you will move the shock only little because the lever moves more sideways than in direction to the shock. Now pic B: I turn the lever 30° too, but you can see the stroke of the shock is much more.

hope this explanation helps a little

Last edited:

mxrider952

Feb 26, 2007
Thanks!

I wanted to thank everyone for their help so far. I am going to sort through some of this information and see what I can find out. You have all been a great help!

Last edited:

Top Bottom