MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Sorry this isn't in line with "Michigan Trail Riders" type stuff, but I trust you guys' advice.....

Well, I've been happy with Bike-Line insurance until today. I got the bill for adding my 950 Adventure. Let's just say it's obscene what they want for insuring that bike. I called to make sure they weren't high on gas fumes or something, but they said it was right. I might as well own a Hyabusa or R-1 or something, because the 950 is in the same high-risk "built for racing high speed" category. Geez!! That's way off in my mind. Yeah, it's fast, but not anywhere near a crotch rocket. And the other road bikes were so inexpensive....

Any other insurance carrier ideas out there you guys recommend?

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Mark - for years I had good luck on rates with Allstate - then they got stupid...then I went to Progressive..and they got stupid...then I sold my VFR and started riding dirt bikes!

If you shop around, you might find a company that does not "black list" that model of bike. With Allstate, it was because they suddenly decided my bike was a crotch rocket - rates went up dramatically. Another thing to do, is try pointing out is ACTUAL displacement. Sometimes it seems they rate on "over 1000 cc" and maybe they have your bike in that catagory, when reality is it is less than that. I got away with that arguement on my Kaw. Concours years ago - it was not a 1000..it was only a 998 (or some such thing)...it helped to have an agent who was a biker to.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Since you're already paying the MCCA with that bike, I found Progressive to have very good rates.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Oh - another suggestion - if you have taken a MSF class, tell the carrier that. Many offer discounts for riders who have taken the class. If you have not taken the class - you really should anyhow (coming from someone who was an instructor for 12 years...no bias on my part).

Specifically, I would suggest you find what used to be called the ERC (Experienced Rider Course), not sure what they call it now. I just loved teaching those classes - you got to demo the exercises on your own bike...my foot pegs got much shorter after each class!

katoom125

Apr 25, 2004
KTM Mike said:
Oh - another suggestion - if you have taken a MSF class, tell the carrier that. Many offer discounts for riders who have taken the class. If you have not taken the class - you really should anyhow (coming from someone who was an instructor for 12 years...no bias on my part).

KTM Mike - who'd you teach for? The Ferris group w/ Dr. Dan? When I taught the MSF courses there weren't many dirt (also) riders in the ranks - only a few of us). I think all of the dirt rider/instructors in our groups also have quit teaching the courses - for me just took too much time - cut into my dirt (and street) riding time.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
katoom125 said:
KTM Mike - who'd you teach for? The Ferris group w/ Dr. Dan? ....

I went through IP with Dan and Rich Henrion, and intially taught through program sponsored by NMU - primarily in the Ironwood area. Up there I managed to pull off a few ERC's a year even - I LOVED teaching those classes! After I moved belwo the bridge I taught in Alpena and Hillman - at first with John Snyders program that later was taken over by Tim McPherson.

I bailed out because it became to much of a numbers game (really that was only after I was down here), as well as the time pressure. I started doing it simply because it was fun, and a way to give back to the sport - but when it started to feel like "work" I knew it was time to stop!

It is a great program however - I still recommend it to every street rider I know who has not taken it - regardless of their degree of "experience" as an "uneducated" rider.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Check with Progressive. My dad just switched to them from State Farm. He saved almost $400 by switching. This is for his '05 V-Max, but give it a shot.

jnugent

Aug 30, 2003
KTM Mike said:
After I moved belwo the bridge I taught in Alpena and Hillman - at first with John Snyders program that later was taken over by Tim McPherson.

Man it really is a small world Mike, I grew up with Johns son Peter and later on his son John worked for me.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
MXGirl230 said:
Check with Progressive. My dad just switched to them from State Farm. He saved almost $400 by switching. This is for his '05 V-Max, but give it a shot.

Progressive was 25%, yeah 25%, of the price at Bike-Line. Bike-Line beats Progressive on my smaller bikes and the Royal Star though.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Yea - I have dealt with Bike-line for years now and they have ALWAYS been "out of line" on anything but the converts! Sometimes you can do really well by insuring your non-converts with the same company your cars are thru.. Its an insurance nightmare out there isnt it?

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
I have my Katana GSX600 insured thru bikeline and they were inline with what everyone else wanted. Granted I just have PLPD on it. But it was under $200 a year. Dont remember the exact amount. But everyone else wanted about the same amount.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
jnugent said:
Man it really is a small world Mike, I grew up with Johns son Peter and later on his son John worked for me.

Wow...sure is small! what ever became of John? He stopped doing the MSF thing a few years back - thats the last i heard of him.

On progressive ins. I was lured in by some nice rates early on, but they steadily went up up up, with no tickets or claims or nothing!

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
INCA said:
Not on Sundays.
Orrrr IF there is a nail in the trail that causes the accident!! That is why I ALWAYS stop and pick them up! REALLY..

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom