oval top piston -- flat top piston?????

handleme46

Apr 11, 2003
I recently bought a pro-x piston kit from a local mechanic shop, and when i got home and opened the box, i realized that the piston is a flat top.I dont know what my 96' CR125 came with stock, because it was used, but the piston that was in it when i bought it was an oval top. So i was wondering if anybody knows if it will harm/ or affect my brandly new plated cylinder in any way??? im going to make darn sure its ok before i try it because the plating on that cylinder wiped out two full paychecks....lol thanks in advance

mxneagle

Jan 7, 2001
I don't believe that the piston change will damage the cylinder. However, the piston crown and head shape are related. Obviously putting a flat piston together with a head designed for a crowned one will lower the compression ratio. You have an interesting problem here, did the previous owner use a cylinder and head from an older model? Certain year honda 125's had better power characteristics than others and it's possible that the switch was made.

handleme46

Apr 11, 2003
The bike is actually a 91' model with the 96' year engine, and i checked the serial numbers so i know its the 96' engine beacause i heard it was one of the better year engines.... any other suggestions?

mxneagle

Jan 7, 2001
Is it a 96 engine or a 96 bottom end with a 91 cylinder or some cross match between the years? It is possible that the piston was for a 91 and someone didn't realize it was a 96 motor or intended to raise the compression ratio. You can take some measurements and/or put the piston in and check for clearances and measure compression ratio (you could do this without putting circlips in) I'd do my homework before firing up the bike.

handleme46

Apr 11, 2003
I went and talked to the guy i bought the piston kit from and he said he ordered the piston for a 96' top end. I verifyed this and also verifyed that the top end is the 96' model. I also have recently heard that the pro-x piston that i bought is flat top but keeps the same compression as a dome top because it is a tad longer. The piston that i pulled out of my bike was a wiseco, and was dome topped. So im thinking that its just a difference between brands. Im still waiting on the bottom end, so when i get il try a compression check but i dont know what the original compression was, but it might be in my manual. I also measured my original wiseco against the pro-x, and the pro-x is slightly longer.

Top Bottom