yz250roost

~SPONSOR~
Oct 16, 2000
hey guys, I just recently replaced the powervalve on my 98 Yz 250 and after putting my bike back together with a new boyesen water pump cover the bike is overheating, but the thing is, I got a new pipe mount (the rubber mount one) and now the pipe touches the bottom of the radiator, so my question is, is this the likely cause of my overheating, (the overheating is just drips that I see on the pipe and the inside of the shroud, not like it's pouring out),,,has anyone else had a problem with overheating after putting on a boyesen water pump cover?? I wouldn't think so but you never know. thanks in advance
Jeff

crkid

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 2001
I'm having trouble understanding what you're saying, but what I can gather is you find coolant on the pipe and the inside of the shrouds. If that is correct, sounds like it could be the radiator. Maybe you sprung a leak? Check the radiator and the cap. If a bike does overheat and the coolant overflows it should come out of the tube right below the cap and flow on to the ground without going anywhere else.

Try clearing up that second part in the ( ).

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Yeah I’m having a little trouble too, but a few points to consider.

Aluminium hates vibration. Adjust that pipe or rad so they don’t touch or your rad may suffer.

Was thinking you had an air bubble in your cooling system. Not being familiar with the YZ, I assume you have a bleed screw on the head or somewhere? Failing all this perhaps your head gasket has failed & is pressurising the cooling system spiting coolant out, or on the odd chance, the cap spring is weak.

Um, tangent to the side. Is it possible the impeller gear is damaged or the impeller is not turning from being fouled on cover? Worth a look. Take the cover off (drain) & check it turns when you kick it.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by David Trustrum
Is it possible the impeller gear is damaged or the impeller is not turning from being fouled on cover? Worth a look. Take the cover off (drain) & check it turns when you kick it.

;) My thought to DT.

Jeff,
I am thinking that by doing the PV did you have the cap and jug off? If so is it possiable that you pinched an oring(cap) or gouged the head/gasket a bit? Oil in the rad will cause your problems too.

my .02.
Phillip

Last edited:

yz250roost

~SPONSOR~
Oct 16, 2000
sorry, to clarify......... the pipe is touching the radiator at the bottom, is it possible that the heat transferred from the pipe would be enough to increase the temperature of the coolant to the point of overheating?? The shrouds and pipe are wet because that is where the overflow tube goes to.
thanks
Jeff

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom