packaging help???

Jul 18, 2006
My buddy and I have to make a package out of a cereal box that will hold a pringle chip. It will be dropped 5 times from 3 feet and the pringle cannot be damaged in the end.

Requirements:
-we can only use one cereal box
-must be self-latching

Any ideas?

FUNNAZI

May 28, 2008

We just did a similar thing with an egg. Had to build some sort of contraption that would cradle the egg and not break from a fall of 4ft, mine broke. Anyways, we could only use string, yarn, straws and cotton. Just grab like 5 cereal boxes, make 5 different ones and pick which one works best. As long as the pringle doesn't take to much of the impact it should not break, figure a way to acheive very little impact and you should be okay.

FUNN

motoman880

Feb 2, 2007
I Did The Same Thing With An Egg To And We Droped Min Like Tow Storys Just Stuff It Wit Cotton

Aryain

!!!!!!
~SPONSOR~
Feb 13, 2007
motoman880 said:
I Did The Same Thing With An Egg To And We Droped Min Like Tow Storys Just Stuff It Wit Cotton

Our physics class did it from 2 stories with an egg and our only limits were the contraption had to fit in a 1foot by 1foot box.

A friend and I cut a hole in a pillow, placed the egg in, and duct-taped the pillow down to 1sqft. We won. We could punt ours like a football and the egg wouldn't break.

Can you stuff things in the cereal box? If so, just get pillow stuffing, fill it half way, put the pringle in, fill it the rest, win.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
wet the pringle to get it soggy before dropping it. Less of a chance for a fracture :)

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Oh come on now, it's not that hard. Think.... what would keep you from becoming broken if somebody dropped you from 20' up? Just like doing a jump on your bike.... Now think how can I make a similar device out of cereal box cardboard? A Pringle chip is just a bunch of pressed potato mush so it will be weak but also light.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
I'd eat the chip first, then drop it. I won't break.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
The packing material shifting around inside the box will be the biggest hazard. You would be better off with no packing at all, just let the chip rattle around in the empty box than have a heavy packing that can shift.

I am thinking something very, very light for packing. How about that fake spider web stuff that you can get for Halloween?

Rod

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
make the packaging into a circling glider

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
wait a second. I was thinking a 2 story drop. for three feet, just put the chip in the box and drop it. Maybe fold the inside wax bag up and in a little to isolate the chip.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
squirt some expanding foam insulation in the box, slip in the chip and watch the foam expand. Only hard part will be getting to the chip to prove it didn't break.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
It's been my experience these free thinking exercises have few specific directions except for the only items that can be used and how they are to be fastened. So I'm going to guess that foam as well as any other outside item isn't allowed. There are lots of possibilities though if you think a little bit. Self fastening just means you can't use glue, tape, etc... it's doesn't mean it has to stay together! That's also how vehicles especially race cars dissipate energy in a crash, they pop apart. You can also look at creating suspension within the container to either support the chip or support the container. Just use your imagination.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…