Swarm

Jun 14, 2004
Heys Guys

It looks like its almost that time of season again. At least for me. My season is coming to an end. :(

I started collecting a few thing for some winter projects on my bike.

I want to disassemble my bike and give frame a fresh coat of paint.

I am looking for a paint supplier that might have the paint code. I checkout the dealer and they want a @#?#$ fortune, $75 for a can.

If anyone can help me out that would be great.

On a side note can anyone tell me if there is a post on decipher the VIN code? What is the A , H and all the other models.

Thanks,

Swarm

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
Just buy some cans of PJ1... they have the correct color for your KDX and it is as tough as nails! I use it and it looks great. May cost you about $40 or so to really do it up right but it will look like a million bucks when your done.

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
yep, that PJ1 is awesome. Exact oem colors. That paint is like rubbery kinda when it dries. it wont chop off. i think its aroun 6-8$ a can

trailryder

Oct 1, 2004
a note from a shade tree auto painter---- make sure that frame is as clean as it can be, using wax and oil remover (DUPONT) you may want to sand lightly to have something for the new paint to etch to. They also make a liquid etcher that you spray on, it softens the paint for the new paint to stick to.Nothing worse than new paint that falls off after a few weeks.....

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
That stuff works great for a rattlecan. Make sure that you sand your old paint lightly first and use some prep-all or other paint prep solvent first for best adhesion.

DirtRoller

Jul 25, 2004
Painted my bike with PJ1 yesterday.
Prep and masked off around the area be painted, color is dead on. Just did the side and bottom frame rails.
Will let you know how it holds up.
Start out with light coats, give it some time between coats.
I heated the bike with a hair dryer and sprayed it out in the sun.
I did not clear coat it, and the shine is still really good.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
If I was going to the trouble of doing the whole frame, I'd sure as heck have it powdercoated. That stuff is hard as nails.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
My brother had his powdercoated and it chips easily. Not a very good job or something.... My brother said never again... either Epoxy paint or PJ1 ... mine wears excellent plus you can touch it up and it bonds to itself... not something you can do with powdercoat.

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
I tried PJ1 but have had problems with wear.
After thorough cleaning and hardware store aerosol primer, I have not had good luck with wear.
Did you guys use PJ1 primer?
Color and finish was great but my boots wear the stuff off instantly.
I did have alkyd enamel paint mixed up from a PJ1 color sample (the stuff you'd put on an iron railing but haven't had a chance to try it.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
Actually.... I didn't prime anything...simply cleaned with alcohol, lightly sanded and painted. It hasn't worn through yet and I painted at the beginning of this season.

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
Your probably right trailryder BUT there are some VERY hard clear coats available that will be like a plastic coated finish. Very expensive paint though. We used it to coat polished stainless rails on the beach to prevent the salt eating the stainless. Just a thought.

Swarm

Jun 14, 2004
hey can anyone tell me what is the correct part number from PJ1. I checked out there web page and there are two part numbers. Which one is the closest match? The 17-KFG or the 17-KGO?

If anyone could help it would be much appreciated.

Swarm

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom