Z0RRO

Apr 4, 2003
Hi all,

I'm looking into getting a TM125 anytime soon. Basically I have 2 choices.
A 2001 with rear Ohlins shock and Paioli front forks, normal handlebar clamp...everything else TM (pretty good) for 4700$cdn
A 2002 with Ohlins all around and fat handlebar clamps for 5400$cdn

Both bikes have new top end, new clutch, new plastics...etc etc

I know the Ohlins all around is awesome...but 4700$ is already more than what I wanted to spend (although I can do the effort for it...whereas 5500+15%txes...ouch).

So what's your experience with Paioli forks? Do they work well? Harsh? Soft? Do they blow seals all day long like Marzocchis do? etc etc etc

Thanks

TM-Frank

Dec 15, 2000
These Paiolis are licenced copies of the 46 mm Kayaba that Yamaha uses on the WR and YZ models. Most parts, like seal rings, bushings and such are identical. Reliability and performance is very similar to the Kayabas (I was told from a TM rider who had them on his 250).

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
I have found that those 46mm Paoli's are reliable and can be setup well. (At least the ones on VOR's) The 48's seemed to blow seals until replaced with non Paoli replacements!

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
My bike has a set of 46mm Paioli 'Blue Steel' conventional forks, revalved by Factory Connection.   These forks are AWESOME!  I highly recommend Factory Connection for work on Paiolis!  They worked with Kevin Hines at e-line, and he was optioning his CRE's with Paiolis since the mid '90s

I think Yamaha and or Kayaba own a portion of Paioli.

BTW, I rode a TM300 with stock inverted Paiolis and they were pretty harsh IMO.  If that bike were mine the forks would have been on the way to Factory Connection the next day. 

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
I have Paioli's on my '02 TM, they have been good for me although I find them soft. The right side fork seal started to leak a few weeks ago, but wiping it out with a business card did the trick for now.

The Paiolis on mine are the Kayaba-like ones. Apparently pre-2002 the Paiolis were not similar to Kayabas inside like they are now. I remember they used to get terrible reviews in the comic books for being too harsh.

I've been told that the Ohlins forks are great performers but tend to go through fork seals a little too often. I've never owned a set, just heard that from others.

Personally, I'd buy whichever one is in better shape. Both sound like they are priced right. The '02s came with a few more goodies on them but that doesn't neccessarily mean that they're better bikes. For $700 you can put fat bars/clamps on, wider footpegs, revalve the forks, and maybe even swap out that Grimeca clutch to a Magura unit.

TM-Frank

Dec 15, 2000
Originally posted by Camstyn
...I've been told that the Ohlins forks are great performers but tend to go through fork seals a little too often. I've never owned a set, just heard that from others...

I had one leaky seal after 12 months of use. Our local suspension tuner told me, that the Öhlins that come stock on GG and TMs don't leak that often, but that the expensive aftermarket Öhlins (the ones with the Ti-coated lower tubes) do have a problem with that.
The Öhlins seals are incredibly expensive btw, but Kayaba seals fit.

Top Bottom