panoram cycle computer

maxigrip

May 17, 2002
has anyone used one of these on a kdx ? i got one the other day and if anyone has the best ways to mount,set wheel size, and any other helpful hints. i know the kdx web site has a tech tip on cycle computers. but i thought someone would have info on the panoram type. thanks for any help.

RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
I have one on my '01 220. It works great. It should have come with explicit instructions. If not, you wanna hear it, here it goes; first mount the magnet in one of the f. rotor's free floating holes w/ epoxy. For the pick-up sensor you'll have to check the proximity of the magnet and sensor (magnet too high you'll get a double hit, too low it won't pick up). Next drill a 1/8(3.25mm) hole in the caliper for the mounting screw (don't worry, non-working part of the caliper). Mount the sensor,and route the cable along the brake line. If you still have the stock brake guides, you'll have to cut them and super glue them back together for routing. Now if you have the Super Trick Billet Mount, you need the loosen the handle bar mounting bolts, install the mount then re-torque the bolts back. Install your comp and start loading wheel size. :aj:
If you don't have the Super Trick Billet Mount :whiner: I am sorry I can't help you. Just kidding! :) Install the stock mount on the bar, hook up the cable, and mount the comp and that's it. WHEW! No....wait, then load your wheel size then that's it. DOUBLE WHEW !!
Have fun and enjoy.
:yeehaw:

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
where do you find these things, went to our local walmart and could not find this in the cycle section !

RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
This is a $70, 18 function cycle computer made just for motorcycles.
You can go to www.rockymountainatv.com
Fear not, this isn't an atv site or promotion. They are a mail order site and sell alot of T.W.O. products. Plus they have great service.
Good luck :yeehaw:

DahlElama

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2001
Or you can go straight to the source.... http://www.trailtech.net/
these are the folks that make it. They have pictures online for mounting it to the KDX. I have one on my Gas Gas and I think it is great!

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
From what I hear the Trailtech one is almost the same as the 29 dollar computer from walmart. What they did was make a different mounting system. Not sure if the computer itself is any different, but they trailtech sure looks like a nice unit.

CMcCarthy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2002
The Wal-Mart computer is indeed a PANORAM brand computer. It is identical to the trailtech setup, except that the magnet pickup in the trailtech kit is made sppecifically for certain types of bikes, and the Wal-Mart one is universal. If you have any fabrication skills at all, use the Wal-Mart one and save yourself fifty bucks.

RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
My problem is I hate screwing around and trying to modify something, when the one with everything is right there.
:yeehaw: :yeehaw:

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
I have the newer Trailtech called "endurance" now. Its real simple for the KDX just take one of bolts out of rotor and replace with the magnetic bolt from Trailtech. Drilling rotor is scary but ended up quite simple. I use the stock mount for mine and it works great. One of the best gadgets I've bought. Just knowing your max and average speeds is cool. Has maintenance reminders that are helpful.

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
I'm waiting until they come up with an RF system like others have for bicycles with no cable from pickup to handle bars. Don't you guys have trouble with that little wire being snagged by branches, rocks, stream crossings etc? At least that bulbous stock cable takes a severe punding ;)

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
Jim nope and all i did was tie wrap it to the brake line.the mods to the bicycle panoram are a no brainer really.it does work great too.k u need to make the lead longer....snip add wire there is just 2 wires in there.the magnet is in a holder for skinney bicycle spokes and not very strong.get a rare earth magnet at radio shack....like 2 bucks .i too mounted it in the disc.2146 is the number to punch in the comp....happy calculating...:)

maxigrip

May 17, 2002
thanks for all the info. it is the wal-mart one.i found it on the clearence row for $25.00. was going to wait till it got cheaper ,but someone else would probable buy it. :|

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
Bike Nashbar is blowing them out too for about $30 (1-800-Bike Nashbar)
Is it worth the extra $ to get a KDX specific model?

RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
Jim I can only speak for myself. As I said earlier I hate to modify $#!^. I've rode mountain bikes for years, and have also had many computers. After using what I'll call the small ones, there was no comparison to the moto computer. The wire is alot beefier, plus it has a sheath over it just like your brake cable. The sensor and the mounting of the magnet are made stronger and better. There are two ways I've seen to mount the magnet, one is to epoxy it into the free float ring on the rotor. Or to purchase a rotor mounting bolt that has a magnet installed in it. From Trailtech of course. It's just one of those purchases (computer) that I felt I needed. You know how it is. Hell, we all have them, there called MOTORCYCLES. :yeehaw:

Ride Hard !! :aj:

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
mine work great! "endurance" I tapped my wire all the way to the puter.

Noob

Dec 10, 2001
You can't use the wireless models of bike computers. The engine electrics srew up the computer signal. My 2 cents.

Noob

fast 200

Jul 24, 2002
how did you know what magnet to get from radio shack. and why will the stock magnet not work . i got mine from walmart. oh and before i forget it shows the magnet being put in the spokes in the instructions.. thanks a lot.................

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
the stock magnet is in a holder,that holder won't fit on fat dirtbike spokes.it also may b too far away from sending unit on the spokes.a rare earth magnet is a stronger magnet to ensure a pick up from the s.u. and i broke the stock one grinding it dn to fit the hole in the disc....... 2146 is the #

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
I use 2108 for wheel size. I measured and re-measured and thats what I kept getting. I'm using a Metzler mc4 on front maybe thats why I'm getting different than others. What do you think?

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
if it's accurate run with it.my deal 2146 is it.i chked against a measured mile using my truck.also chked with an enduro riders odo,not sure how to set it right other than that..just like anything results may b diff.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…