LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
From the Sherco website :
http://www.shercousa.com/?action=14&story=uschamp_07

ipapu Ski Area, NM
August 11th & 12th, 2007
By: Dan Salton of Wisconsin Moto

Patrick Smage went 2-1 at the at the final two rounds of the 10 round NATC National Championship series this past weekend, which saw him crowned as the 2007 US AMA/NATC National Champion. Held at the Sipapu Ski Area in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains of New Mexico, this was a location that, like the prior event just the week before at the Donner Ski Ranch in California, put a premium on fitness and a willingness to take big risks.

Saturday must have felt like deja-vu, with the top-six finishing positions unchanged from the previous round, just the Sunday prior, in California. Cody Webb showed his win was no fluke, though this time it was closer between himself and second place Smage. Webb dropped 32 points to Smage's 33. Will Ibsen continued his steady improvement throughout the series, equaling his best finish of the year of third from the previous round. With Chris Florin finishing fourth, like he did both days the prior week in California, not only did Smage wrap up the championship, but Webb moved into a commanding second place in the points, 9 points ahead of Florin.

But it was Sunday's performance by Smage that put the exclamation point to his weekend, garnering only 5 points on the day. Looking at the section scores, the only points he took were 3 singltons on the first lap, and another 2 singletons on the third lap, which meant he rode a perfect 0 on the second lap. Interestingly, several of the other Pro riders seemed to have figured out something after the second lap. Second place on the day with a 30, Webb went 11-16-3. Third place was Bruce le Riche, his best finish of the year, who dropped 37 pionts (23 cleans), going 15-16-6. Will Ibsen was fourth, also with a 37 (18 cleans), going 14-16-7. Chris Florin finished 5th.

In a special exhibition class, Shaun Morris, currently 14th place riding the red line in the WTC, put on a riding clinic. Finishing with 8 points on Saturday, he dominated the regular NATC Pros. But on Sunday, Smage kept him honest. Even with him after 2 laps, Morris scored a 0 on the final lap, to Smage's 2. This, if they had actually been competing against each other, would have given Morris the win, 3 to 5. It's encouraging for US trials though to see our new 17 year old champion able to, when he's fully on his game, keep it so close to someone who is riding two classes above him in the WTC.

Way to go Pat :yeehaw: :aj: :yeehaw:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Kudos, Pat!

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
Congratulations to Patrick, on his well deserved championship.

We here in the USA have a talented bunch of teens pushing each other to continue to improve! It will be interesting to see how they now match up to the rest of the world, when they compete in the Trials Des Nations competition, in September, on the Isle of Man.

I have not yet been able to watch & meet Pat, Chris, Cody, or Bruce; but I assure you that you will find no finer people than Will, little brother, Bo, and father, Bill Ibsen. I'm looking forward to getting together with them after the season is over. I am sure to be humbled, but they have been great riding coaches to my daughters!

It has been a great year for the NATC National Championship! The kids are stepping it up, literally and figuratively. Go Team USA!

Top Bottom