pds crossover shims

dbrace

Oct 30, 2002
i was just wondering if anyone had ever tried using a crossover shim in a pds shock to give it some initial plushness.

dbrace

Oct 30, 2002
is there any info on how these shocks work? does the top piston controll the first part of the stroke before the second piston and needle come into play?

dbrace

Oct 30, 2002
the exc stacks ive seen were the same as a sx 02 style shock but an 03 125sx shock is heaps different.the 1st stack is heaps harder and the 2nd comp. stack has an ohlins style crossover in there. both pistons r heaps different.reminded me of suspension tech pistons although ive only seen internet pics of those.i think suspension still unbalanced shock too hard and forks have too much mid-valve bleed before it(mid-valve) comes into play what do u guys think?

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
I think the forks are better than before and the triple bushings are nice. They have new seals for 03 and hopefully they wont be weeping much . Speaking of seals on those 48s : Some shops were trying to put 47mm Showa seals on them but it doesntwork it makes way too much sticktion. The new black WP/KTM seals are cheaper now they used to be like $20 each . There has been talk of putting a small horizontal groove in the upper inner bushing , I guess to help lube the lower but I dont know whether its worthwhile. ON woodsie bikes weve been taking out quite a bit of Comp to find initial plushness . Overall I hear the 03 SXs are more balanced than in previous efforts 125 gets a lower subframe also. The first time I did a PDS it was a very early 98? 250SX that totally came apart because the nut came off . Actually didnt turn out too bad considering the mayhem that went on in there .

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Dean thats a intresting idea on the bushings... What amazes me is the diferences of the PDS system over the years. The 98 my God what a bazaare Creature that was.. I had a older 99 in the other day and was like I'm going to deal with the needle length any more so I recut it to the 02 length..

From what I've gathered KTM is testing some new shapes and lengths again to change the overlap chrateritics, once again, but this is a new and intresting approach.. If what I've gleened comes down the road, its once again not going to be safe in the water. Som tuners are going to be like I told you all along, and others are going to be like, well just when....

Guess which group I might fit in? We must accept no limits on proress right? Regardless of what we want..

BR,
Jer

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Did I tell you that the first time I worked on a PDS I never lined up the bypass hole under the first piston and I couldnt blled the shaft . Until I sat down and figured it out how it worked . I guess what we try to do Is perceive how things work and try to make them work their best and then when we feel we have a handle on things theyll over R&D and change everything .. On a side note It lookred like McGRath and Rodriguez KTM bikes were working very very well in the Euro Supercrosses .Actually for someone from such a little country Joachim goes really fast . I know another Portugese GP rider Nuno Domingos . He came to the states an couple years back and I had himon a Yamaha . He had an excellent work ethic , We went testing and after practice we couldnt find him for a half hour. He just disappeared and went out for a run after riding all day .The dude was focused , but I think he maybe got married and stopped racing . As for the needles it would be really trick yto be able to switch them out without disassembly ... Maybe one day when I start doing production forks Ill feature that .LOL I want to try a few new things in the next 2 years or so . But its hard to put out the experimental time when I still have to work at paying the bills , and Im sure alot of other fellows have some good things in mind also . The future is begging .

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…