Chriscorv5

Apr 5, 2004
well this is my first post so i have some newbie questions.
right now i have a completly stock 03 kdx 200 other than a 12 tooth. I just took the air box lid off have not had a chance to ride it? will there be a noticable difference in power? I have been thinking the last couple days what do to performance wise and here is what i came up with, ive been wanting more low-mid range. Fmf Gnarly tq. pipe, fmf spark arrester the one for the for trail riding, and one of those $9 tq. rings, also #607 reeds, and some reed spacers. That is it so far. How much of a noticable difference will i see. Do the reed spacers and that $9 tq. ring add any to power or is it more of some thing to just say you have. When im riding on pavment and im say 5 inches away from the tank in 2nd gear i can get the wheel to come up say 5 inches from just hitting it, with these mods will it come up say 10 inches? I guess im just looking for some way to understand how much faster the bike will be. Thanks for taking the time to read my post. Great Fourms

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
Chris - it i always best to ride it a bit as is to really establish a baseline with which to compare.

First thig you will want to do is check out Canadian Daves new KDX setup tips. This will include rejetting unless you live 20,000 leagues under the sea (which is where the stock jetting performs well).

The first mod everyone usually makes is the pipe. For torque - you can go with the FMF Gnarley Torque or the Pro Circuit Platinum II. Both are good pipes for what you want - but FMF has had some quality issues as of late 9I have personal experience here). I personally have the PC Plat II and could not be happier.

The silencer is really not that necessary. it frees up a pound or two of weight - but the performance is marginally better at best.

With jetting a new pipe, the airbox missing its lid - you will have a totally different bike.

At that point - stop and look at the suspension mods that are discussed every 12 hours or so here.

All the other stuff makes for good winter projects. Those listed here are quick and easy bang for the buck options.

Search the archives as everything you need is in there. And again. And again...

Good luck

Sean

Chriscorv5

Apr 5, 2004
alright, well if i do want to get the new pipe and silencer also since my air box lid is also removed what jetting should i use. I live in mass. I ride state parks, and temp wise is every thing from 50-90max.

kdxtaz

~SPONSOR~
Mar 29, 2002
moridin said:
Chris -

First thig you will want to do is check out Canadian Daves new KDX setup tips. This will include rejetting...

Search the archives as everything you need is in there.
:thumb:

Chriscorv5

Apr 5, 2004
performance

i am looking at a fmf -35 pipe and a power core II silencer and a FRP TQ. ring. Will i need to rejet my bike after i buy these mods. I am aware that there are 2 silencers turbine core 2 and a power core 2 how much "louder" DB are they. I ride my ktm 250sx in the parks and never get a ticket and boy that thing is loud.

Mrobbins

~SPONSOR~
Sep 28, 2002
Hey Chriscorv5, I am in eastern MA and ride the SF's just about every weekend (once they open in May). If you are out this way give me a shout next month if you want to hit the good trails and try out a fully hopped-up 220 to see what the mods do.

SGM

Mar 24, 2004
I ride eastern mass also. i plan to hit the sf a few more times this yr. i ride a 200 with all the extra's. i just put in boysen reeds and i'm playing with my jetting right now. need to lean it out a little more but i will post what i go with.

Bizerk

Feb 28, 2004
OK...I'm not awake yet...what are the SF's? I live in MA as well. My KDX 200 has jetting set at 42 pilot and 155 main for now still tweaking.

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
In all honesty - I cannot imagine why anyone would put anything but a spark arrestor silencer on their KDX. Not like they are killer MX bikes or anything.

I do spend alot of time in the USFS' realm - and getting caught by The Mna there is a serious infraction (not to mention pretty stupid on your part).

No offense intended to those fire throwers out there - but there really is no diff in power - so why not make a hippy smile and put on a spark arrestor.

Furthermore - why swap out the stocker in the first place? Personally - the stocker is a nice unit albeit a bit heavy. No packing - good power and very quiet (also good these days). I love that I zoom by without getting a second glance and any modren 4s rider gets headshakes and nasty stares fromt he non-riders that share our access.

I think Canadian Dave even mentions the fact that there is no real measurable difference moving up to an aftermarket tail.

crashburn36

Mar 25, 2002
I have or have had all of the mods you have mentioned. Yes you ill see an increase when you add them. Will you see much of an increase if you just add one of them (besides the pipe), probably not. But if you do them all at the same time you will see a pretty significant difference. I would however recommend the PC pipe (Plat II--if you’re looking for torque). I have both the Gnarly and PC Works pipe and the Works pipe just fits better. And thus far has taken more beatings with fewer bruises than my Gnarly pipe.

By the way you should be able to pull a wheelie in second with no prob with out popping the clutch. If this is your first bike or has been a while since your last, it just takes some getting used to. I would recommend that you move onto some dirt though, at least until your comfortable. Me personally, I think wheelies on the pavement is just an accident waiting to happen.

SGM

Mar 24, 2004
the SF in eastern MA that are legal to ride in are freetown, 30 mile ROCKY loop and a 8 mile easier loop. Wrentham sf is rocky as well not sure on total mileage. Franklin sf is near wrentham but the trails are a lot smoother. can be some wet riding after rain or in the spring. MA SF open may 1st and your bike must be registered forest service compliant, spark arrestor ect.

Mrobbins

~SPONSOR~
Sep 28, 2002
Also Foxboro, MA is near/interconnected with Wrentham and has same rocky terrain. Last and least Georgetown, MA SF has about 5 miles of lame fire roads and very easy single track. Georgetown is also the only place in eastern MA that Quads are legal so there are a lot of them for such a small place.

Chriscorv5

Apr 5, 2004
Mrobbins i love in Souther mass and go to pittsfield SF and some others ied love to go riding with some other KDX owners. Mrobbins what mods have you done do your bike and will i need to rejet for, fmf tq. pipe, spark arrester, air box lid and other bolt-ons.

Mrobbins

~SPONSOR~
Sep 28, 2002
You will see lots of KDX's in the woods of MA, but just not as much as you will see orange bikes. :-) Go to a New England Trail Riders Assoc. race or ride if you get the chance. There is an all off-road (no street plate required) ride called the Mohawk Turkey Run in the Berkshires in May.

Mrobbins

~SPONSOR~
Sep 28, 2002
Almost forgot about the modification question, just about everything on the KDX hop up guide (see the All KDX Riders Must Read topic). Yes jetting changes will probably be in order for most bikes to fine tune performance, it's not hard once you read up and just get in there.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom