wts

Sep 26, 2002
I have just bought a 1994 KDX200 in excellent condition. The guy had reciepts where he just had the whole topend rebuilt plus waterpump and powervalve. After riding the bike it seems that it is lacking in upper rpm power. The bottom and mid seems to be ok. It has a Pro-Circut pipe. Any thoughts?

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
What is your frame of reference? Just coming off a late model MX'er? Without significant porting, the KDX is not a top-end screamer, even with the pipe. Perhaps there is a problem, but you could verify it by comparing with another KDX? Drag race, back to back rider, etc.

Just a thought... :think:

wts

Sep 26, 2002
I haven't ridden a KDX in a while but have ridden some 4 strokes DR250 and XR400 and a 125 motocross bike The KDX ran just slightly better than the DR250?!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Hard to say with a new-2-you bike. If it's not up to snuff compared to the other kdx you mention, guess it's time to do some sleuthing.

Just cuz he has receipts doesn't mean anything was done right. I can count the number of times on one hand that 'someone else' has done something RIGHT on my stuff when I took it to be 'fixed'. Conversely, I CAN'T count the number of times it's been otherwise.

After I take it to be 'fixed', I take it home and 'repair' it myself. Pretty much got into fixing everything myself.

Do some simple stuff. Air cleaner condition? Clean it anyway. Maybe his idea of 'oiling' it was to soak it to dripping wet.

Even simple stuff like, is the carb opening all the way? Check the KIPS ops as a matter of course.

Jetting is almost certainly wrong. It most always is.

Put in a new plug. Change the oil (not related, but..why not?).

Bunches of 'stuff'.

Will give you some time to 'get acquainted' with your new scoot!

have fun

wts

Sep 26, 2002
Thanks. I'm planning on checking those things this weekend. Is there a easy way to check the kips operation.

jpm200

Aug 15, 2002
To check that the cam is operating the kips valve just feel for movement under the rubber boot to the RH kips actuator cover when you rev the bike up. The valves are supposed to actuate at about 6000 rpm.

To check that the valves are operating correctly remove the Pipe and the RH kips actuator cover. Slide your head in behind the front wheel and look up the exhaust port while actuating the kips lever.
When you pull the lever, the side valves should counter-rotate from closed to open and the notch in the centre valve should match up to the shape of the exhaust port.
When you let go of the lever the valves should return.
The side valves should open symmetrically. The gear on the LH valve is notorious for stripping. This causes the valve to slip a tooth or five and actuate out of sync with the rest of the system.

Last edited:

wts

Sep 26, 2002
Thanks! I'll be checking things tomorrow. If the gear on the LH valve is stripped, is it expensive/hard to replace?

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
wts do a search on this forum for "kips" You should find all the info you're looking for and a whole lot more including tips to prevent the problem from happening again if it is indeed the kips valve, step by step instructions etc. You can find some jetting starting points on the JustKDX web site.

While you have the pipe off have a look in the header end and make sure its not excessively carboned up. If it is you'll want to clean it up.

When you reinstall the pipe consider using some silicone between the two o-rings to present it from leaking in the weeks ahead. search the work "silicone" and you'll get the run down.

David

wts

Sep 26, 2002
well, I took the head off and the right powervalve shaft was sheared in half. The left on seems ok. Everything else looks good with the exception of the exhaust pipe being 1.4 plugged with carbon buildup.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom