Perplexed...Jeremy, RM-85 Fork height adjustment?

Daago

Nov 23, 2001
Recently purchased RM-85 and noticed that stock fork height setting is substantially lower than that of other 80cc bikes we have raced in the past. There is apprx. 2.5 to 3 inches of adjustment remaining, (between top clamp and the top of the forks).

Question: If I lower forks in triple clamps substantially, to facilitate our taller 13 year old, will this reduce the structural integrity of the clamps or the forks themselves?

As with other makes in the past, our manuals have eluded to this adjustment in "raking out" the bike. However, now when I need the info the worst, my wife forgot to get the manual from the dealer at time of purchase. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Rider: 125 lbs, fairly quick and aggressive. Live and race in AMA North Central Region, (most of our tracks are natural terrain, and fairly high speed).

The amount of "apparent adjustment", allowed by the OEM position of the forks on the bike, has caused me reluctance to lower the forks substantially, because I obviously don't want to do more damage to the bike, than good to the rider.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I think the extra length is to help the design of the fork-ie spring length etc i would think the adjustment range is only as on a normal fork ie +/-10mm

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
I have searched for a spec also.

From a national mini racer I was told that 2 lines are there. The lower line is for a stock set up +/- 10mm like Marcus mentioned.
Dropping the forks to the top line is used in Big Wheel applications. This setting extends the front wheel to clear the 19" wheel. A long swing arm is also used to set the proper geometry. Usually a beefier set of clamps are used to hold the forks stable when dropped to the lower setting.

Daago

Nov 23, 2001
OK guys...thanx much for the input.

We'll drop the forks 10mm, (although physical room would allow for much more), but as stated before, really don't want to mess up the front end of this brand new bike.

Thanks again.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…