mjb1120

Jul 1, 2007
I bought a '90 Suzuki RM 125 as a project rebuild. The bike was not running at the time of purchase. Stripped it all down painted the frame, did the brakes, wheel bearings, etc, etc, etc. The top end needed a new piston and ring, which was done. I also replace the seals for the shift shaft, drive shaft, and the left case gasket. Got it all back together (over about 3 months, off and on). The engine started up just fine, (I have to do some carb adjustments - little to no idle) I have not had a chance to ride it yet, the snow came too soon. But while running it in the garage, I am able to get 1st gear and back into neutral however it does not want to get into 2nd and above. (I am shifting, or trying to, then releasing the clutch out to see if I have caught a gear). If I pull up the shift lever real hard with my hand, I am able to catch 2nd gear and maybe more (hard to tell) doing it with my foot it will not work, it will not go past neutral. I am thinking that I may have the shift shaft out of position (gears not lined up properly) I don't know for sure, never had to deal with this luckly on my other bikes. Like I said this bike was worked on over a period of a few months and after pulling the shift shaft 3 months ago I do not remember how it was lined up. I found a service manual yesterday, and just ordered it, however I was hoping someone can give me some insight as to what may be wrong. I am also using 10w40 car motor oil in the transmission (never used it before, but after all the threads I read about it, i thought I would give it a try) any help would be appreciated

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
With the trans in neutral, center and install the shift shaft. Also, make sure you have the shifting boss(star) the pawls and retainers, and the detents(spring loaded rollers outside the drum) installed correctly. Unless you are changing the drum bearing, keep the drum and detents installed, you should almost never have to remove it to disassemble the engine. Did you have the shifting forks off?

mjb1120

Jul 1, 2007
I did not have the shift forks off, I only pulled the shift shaft out to change the seal. I think that I do not have the shift shaft centered with the with the shifting boss star. I keep thinking that I may be a tooth or 2 from center. I'll be taking it apart tonight to see for sure. So just that I'm straight on this, the shift shaft gear and the boss star have to be alined center to center while in neutral ?

To KDX 175 - The trans did shift when I got it, the bike was not running at the time, but it seemed like I could get thru the gearbox.

mjb1120

Jul 1, 2007
Got it apart last night and found the shift shaft was out of position with the boss star.
Thanks for all the help

Top Bottom