jamin326

~SPONSOR~
Oct 29, 2002
here's a pic of my wrecked bike, i got into a head on collison, wasn't much fun destroyed my front end, cracked the right side clutch cover and right engine case, broke off the water pump cover, and turned my pipe into sheet metal, notice the front fork is a little bent, lol, was going a little fast, 4th gear tapped out, came up over a hill and bam, didn't see the other guy till it was too late.

Attachments

• wreck4.jpg
    wreck4.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 1,066
Last edited:

jamin326

~SPONSOR~
Oct 29, 2002
guy i hit ended up with a broken right leg, i broke my thumb course his bike had very minimal damaged, this bike currently only exists as parts scattered about, i've sold most of it just a few things left, i bought a new bike already, 99 KDX220 :)

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
You're lucky! I'd rather bust up a bike than break my leg (or worse).

Where you riding in snow?

I hit a deer on my dirtbike before. No damage to the bike, but there was quite a bit of deer fur wedged in between the tire and the rim. The deer died.

I also hit a tree head on with a dirt bike. Bent the forks right back. I bailed before hitting the tree. Very expensive to fix.

Ride safe...

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
That brings back very bad memories.

I bought an '84 KDX200 brand new. Before the first payment was due, I was hit head on by a wrong way rider on a marked one-way trail at Hollister.

The new bike cost $1,600. The parts (your list plus bars and the cylinder, which broke when the pipe was ripped out) were about $1,000 in '84.

My knee cap was shattered into eight peices on the Husky CR500's fork tube. The doctor's removed my patella. My Bell Moto IV saved my life as me and the other guy went face to face (closing speed about 45 mph). My buddy saved the guy's life as he was knocked out and choking on his tongue. I permanently lost 85% of the strength in my left leg despite two major surgeries and over a year of physical therapy.

Sorry to hear about your crash, but I'm glad to hear your injuries were not worse!

Best wishes getting the bike fixed - I hope you are riding again soon.

Dave

jamin326

~SPONSOR~
Oct 29, 2002
wow, yea i am really lucky that my injuries were not worse, it could have been really bad, we didn't hit directly head on it was more on the right side as you can tell by the damage on the bike, i can still remember comming up over that hill and seeing the look in the other guy's eyes, it's scary stuff head on collisions

davidg

Apr 30, 2002
Glad to hear you could walk away, too bad about the other guy. Nice pictures though. I just showed them to my wife, told her racing is actually safer than trail riding. At least everyone is going in the same direction in a race.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
It must have been pretty scary.  You don;t have to go to those extremes to get a newer bike you know! ;)

David M

Nov 28, 2002
You are lucky overall. That exact type of accident happened when my friends and I were riding in 1979. One guy lost his bike, but the other guy lost his bike and one of his kidneys-from the handlebar going right into it. That still is the worst dirt bike accident I've ever seen. Speedy recovery.

HOTRODKY428

Oct 24, 2002
NEVER CRACKED ONE UP THAT BAD....BENT FORKS AND FRAMES..OUCH MAN HAD TO HURT...YOU SAID YOU WERE SELLING PARTS . STILL HAVE THE REAR WHEEL? IF YOU HAVE ANY PARTS LEFT, E-MAIL ME HOTRODKY428@AOL THANKS ROB

lpracing77

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2002
A guy I used to work with a few years ago had a similar story. His bike was wrecked but unfortunately the other guy died in the accident. That happened back in the mid-seventies and my friend quit riding because of it. I had a head on back about 1987, my shift lever broke and went into the clutch case of the Husky WR250. I considered myself very lucky, I think you are too. When trail riding and out on fast trails I do not pin it anymore, just cruise at a safe pace. It just is not worth it. But during an enduro or hare scramble . . . . . . . . WFO

craig

Jan 7, 2002
Originally posted by lpracing77
When trail riding and out on fast trails I do not pin it anymore, just cruise at a safe pace. It just is not worth it. But during an enduro or hare scramble . . . . . . . . WFO

Of course, in an enduro or hare scramble, there _shouldn't_ be anyone coming the other way. I also worry about head on collisions when riding in an area that the trails aren't one way, and like you, I don't run top speed in those situations. I really wish more people would do the same, as I don't want to end up being the guy who broke his leg - or worse.

Craig

jamin326

~SPONSOR~
Oct 29, 2002
that must have been awful for the guy that died, that would definetly stop me from riding again, i do plan on taking it slower when i get back out on the trails

carlbielke

Jul 4, 2002
Originally posted by jamin326
that must have been awful for the guy that died, that would definetly stop me from riding again, i do plan on taking it slower when i get back out on the trails

Yeah, the guy that died never rode again, imagine that!
Sorry, can't resist those little gems ; )

carlbielke

Jul 4, 2002
Hmm, seems like I need to clarify myself, making fun of the structure of the sentence, not the actual accident. I wish you a speedy recovery and good luck.

Top Bottom