Picked up a 99 YZ250 any info on it's personality

Formula

Sep 21, 2000
Hi,

I sold my 1990 RMX and picked up a 1999 YZ250. Quite a different ride, I am really liking it.

How was this bike rated by the "unbiased" mags , not that it changes how I feel about it or that subjective reviews are facts but it is always nice to know. Think of it as a Trekkie wanting to know what the safe combination was on Episode xx when Kirk opened his personal safe. (does it really matter) I thought it was 24-41-11, I was way off!

Is it considered a low-mid engine bike? Since I just came off an RMX it has more instant anywhere power. Handles much better, is lighter etc. It does feel some what linear or smooth throughout the powerband. Not to much of an abrupt hit an any one spot.

What are people running for jetting on a stock engine/pipe at 2200 feet at 70F.

Any known "fixes or must replace" issues on this year of bike. Every new model has some teething problems (ie CR airbox)

Any other tips or model info would be helpful.

Thanks again DRN.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
just take apart the linkage, strip out all the yellow rubber type grease from the bearings and then re-pack with proper grease.

keep an eye on the throttle adjustment also, just in case the round pulley wanst replaced in the recall.

you will probably need to lean accross the board for jetting.

Formula

Sep 21, 2000
I have had to open up the throttle to check some carb settings. I saw that the throttle had a grey plastic wheel that the cable rides on.

What is this recall regarding that part ?

What does it affect ? How long do I have to live ?

lwsmithjr

~SPONSOR~
Sep 18, 2002
I too had a '90 RMX that I sold about a year and a half ago and just purchased a '99 YZ250. I was about to post when I saw this thread so I hope you don't mind if I tag along.

After riding YZF's (belonged to my brother-in-law) for the past 18 months, I felt that this thing DID have an abrupt power delivery. I'm looking for ways to smooth it out a little. Mine has a Pro Circuit pipe (he gave me the stock one too) and Race Tech suspension. He also gave me a flywheel weight (Steahly 13 oz.). I think I have the suspension dialed in okay -- it's not as good as the stock '03 250F, but I'm still playing with it. My problem is the motor -- I'm scared of the thing after being on a 4 stoke for so long. I ride mostly motocross and everything seems different -- turns, jumps -- the only thing I'm comfortable with is straights. Too bad there aren't more on a track. I'd be fine! Any suggestions for smoothing it out a little would be appreciated.

I too would like to know about the recall and how to know if it's been taken care of. I did a search and didn't come up with anything.

Formula, if I'm imposing on your thread, please advise and I'll be gone!

va_yzrider

Apr 28, 2003
The recall is the pulley wheel in the throttle assembly. You definitely want to check this out! I went over the bars when my throttle was stuck pinned on a nasty whoops section because of this recalled part. It is VERY easy to do and the part is free, so stop by your local shop and pick one up.

As far as the suspension goes, if you can get it even close to what the 03 YZF 250 is like, then you're doing pretty good.

Enjoy guys, it's a great bike!

BadCRC

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2003
Northwest Georgia
I had them do the throttle recall with my last top end. Super easy/fast.

A friend told me if you Look on the steering head at the frame number and there is a punch mark at the end, they did it. I'll take a look tonight to verify this, and I'll post another reply.

FWIW, I have a '98 YZ250 :thumb:

Formula

Sep 21, 2000
Does the pulley (the new one) have a different color or specific markings on it ? A stuck throttle could be real bad.

lwsmithjr - the more people who join in the more we will both benafit from this, so no problem with that.
Have you tried the flywheel weight yet ? That should help retard the delivery a little.

How much do you weigh and did you get new springs, and what were the problems with the stock suspension set up ?

lwsmithjr

~SPONSOR~
Sep 18, 2002
I'm 5'10", 185 lbs and a slow "C" rider (42 yrs. old). Best I can tell, it still has the stock springs. For me that's good because according to the Race Tech site, they are what my weight calls for. I bought the bike with the suspension already done, so I can't compare to stock. All I've done is adjust the clickers and sag. Still being unfamiliar with the bike (been to the track once), I haven't hit a jump over 45' and no whoops, so I have no idea about bottoming resistance with the current setup. Once I'm a little more comfortable, there is a 75 - 80' downhill ski jump that will give me better insight. As for the little stuff, it's pretty plush.

My current settings are (w/ stock springs - Fr .43 & R 4.8):
Fork - Comp: 14, Reb: 10
Shock - Comp 12, Reb: 10

I have not tried the flywheel weight yet. I feel it will smooth out the power, but having gotten used to compression braking w/ the 4 stroke, the extra weight will widen the gap between the two even further. It will be on the bike for the next session, so I'll let you know. I think I'm going to try the stock pipe too. Both are pretty easy to change, so I can try different combos.

As for the jetting, I think mine is too lean at idle. It will surge continuously. I tried adjusting the airspeed screw, but the bike still runs with it turned all the way in! Everywhere else is good. I haven't been into the carb yet so I don't know what jets are installed. (We are between 750 and 1000 ft above sealevel for future reference).

That may be more info than you wanted! How does this compare to your setup?

Last edited:

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
if you guys are looking to tame the motor, hold off on porting- i got the low to mid set-up and it really jolts you! good fun but it tires you out!

Formula

Sep 21, 2000
I am running a 45/170 - 2nd from top clip with a stock plug. Plug is a little dark but we get temps changing up and down 10C every 2 days it seems. There is no constant in Alberta. Our range is from 15C - 24C. It is hard to keep up with the jetting I just don't want it to be too lean on a combination of a cool day and long sand straights. Elevation 2000ft
What are others running ?

I ran it with a 14/50 stock gearing untill my last ride where I tried a 13/50. I go to the Rocky mountains occasionally and I am hoping that it will be a plus on the 1st gear long climbs. I can say that it is not quite the thing for open trail riding, uses up each gear to quick and caused me to overrevv and sit at redline until - "oops, yah shift it's no going to go any faster" came into my mind, hopefully no damage done.
What mods actually worked for people ? (besides the coveted Gorr porting tha t is the cream of the crop)

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
the V-force worked well and you can set the reeds for more torque. i tried both settings i liked the top end setting best though, the torque setting went a tad flat on wide open straights when there wasnt enough room for another gear.

ericlachance

Feb 16, 2003
If you buy your bike used, can you still bring it in and get a free throttle pulley? I bought a used 1996 yz250 about a month ago, but I don't feel like putting any money on it. (not cause i'm cheap, just because i don't like the idea of putting money on something I just bought and thats allready supposed to run well).

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
Originally posted by ericlachance
If you buy your bike used, can you still bring it in and get a free throttle pulley?
Yes
... I bought a used 1996 yz250 about a month ago, but I don't feel like putting any money on it. (not cause i'm cheap, just because i don't like the idea of putting money on something I just bought and thats allready supposed to run well).
Even if you had to pay to replace the part, it's better than paying with your life. A stuck throttle is not worth the risk. :|

lwsmithjr

~SPONSOR~
Sep 18, 2002
Checked last night and mine has the punch mark after the VIN so I take it the pulley has been replaced.

Dave, you just came off of a 125. How long did it take you to get used to the 250? I guess I thought after 2 or three laps, I'd have it nailed, but that wasn't the case!

I'm running 14/49 gearing and considering a 48 or even a 47. It may be a little sluggish out of the turns but it will stretch out the hit a little. I put the stock pipe and silencer (man, it's long!) on last night for the next ride. I don't want to mess with the jetting until I decide which pipe I'm going to run. Right now, the pilot seems to be the only thing that's off -- besides my ability!

Last edited:

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
I would install your flywheel weight first. You mentioned the idea that this might actually widen the gap between the two and four stroke, but I tend to think that it will actually lessen the percieved gap between the two bikes. I have yet to find anyone (well, maybe a few mx'ers) that dont actually prefer a flywheel weight. Less stalling, and better traction is what the weight is supposed to provide, which coincidentaly, are strong points in favor of most four-stroke bikes. I still run the stock pipe on my 98, although I did end up going with the Gorr porting,a Delta valve reed cage, and a flywheel weight.

lwsmithjr

~SPONSOR~
Sep 18, 2002
The difference I was concerned about was in the deceleration department. With additional weight, the engine will not only rev slower, but will also spin longer, thus widening the gap in the compression braking -- but I'm definitely going to install it.

Do you recall the specific weight you added?

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
lw, it took a few rides to get there, but I'm settling in. I have an 11oz on and it is smooth through out.
I'm running 14/49 gearing and considering a 48 or even a 47. It may be a little sluggish out of the turns but it will stretch out the hit a little.
I could not agree more with this philosophy. Everyone seems to think a 13/52 type setup is going to give 'em a useable bottom end. :| but the bike will just rev out and you have to shift too often. I'm actually running the FMF s/a to keep it a lil tame

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
The local Yamaha dealer changed my pulley without even taking the bike in. I removed the throttle and took that in.

I left the cable attached. Apparently there was a slight kink in the end. Yamaha paid for a new cable as well. They take this throttle issue seriously. My guess is someone must have filed a lawsuit against them.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
just to get back slightly on topic guys, there is someone selling a v-force for these YZ250s over on the for sale forum!;)

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
I went with an 11 oz weight from Steahly. I cant really tell a difference in the deceleration due to the added flywheel weight. Most two-strokes tend to "freewheel" when the power is off anyway. I really think that you will like the added flywheel weight.

lwsmithjr

~SPONSOR~
Sep 18, 2002
I rode the bike around the house yesterday with the stock pipe and silencer -- the jetting is way off. I expected it to change but it went opposite of past experience. Aftermarket pipes tend to run a little rich from stock, so I expected it to be lean. It was very fat, from idle up through midrange. WOT was okay. I haven't picked up any spare jets yet so I'll have to wait on that.

I put the PC pipe back on and added the flywheel weight (13 oz.). It DEFINITELY smoothed it out -- maybe a little too much. It will be hard to tell without actually going to the track. As for the decel, Lorin you're right, I couldn't tell much difference.

Bruce, good price on the V-Force, but I'm not ready for increased performance!!

Formula

Sep 21, 2000
(copied from a different thread)

"You might consider adjusting your throttle position sensor? You can adjust the plate so it advances or retards the midrange enrichment to work best for the throttle response that feels best to you. "

Any one try the above and have opinions on it?

Also how about some more jetting specs. listed (with all pertinent parameters listed of course)

Top Bottom