Pilot Jet Question....Not typical question

RanMan

May 22, 2002
In my son's '02 YZ85 manual, it talks about general jetting changes. Also, it come with one larger jet and one smaller. Anyway, it says if too rich or too lean to turn pilot jet. I pretty much understand jetting and at first look, I took it as they were referring to the "air screw", but when I read it again, sounded like they were talking about adjusting the pilot jet. Not sure if it is a language translation error or what. When I changed his pilot jet, I just screwed it in till it stopped. This may be a stupid question, but is the pilot jet adjustable? Not talking about air screw.

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
I would agree that it is probably a translation issue, unless they meant to say 'tune' the pilot jet.

About 30 years ago, it was always a great source of humor to read the latest owner's manuals from the Jap companies. They must have used the worst translators in the world. Cycle magazine once put out a 'best of' with all the best bloopers.

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
BTW, RanMan - what are your thoughts on the YZ as a woods machine? My son will soon be reaching the limits of his XR100, and I think I will be xx85 shopping soon. I've heard that KX and RM's make good woods weapons, due mostly to the power valve. We'll probably be looking at 2000 to 2002 models.

RanMan

May 22, 2002
My son also came off XR100. The YZ has made a great bike for him. They aren't low end grunt bikes, but he has been in several races with it and has done well. One race in South Carolina, he raced part of our course (the last 18 mile section) which was very tough. Actually, I had more trouble in that section than any. I origially looked at the RM, but when I got ready to buy, I couldn't find one close by, so I went with the YZ. I have read that the RM's and KX's have a little more bottom, but I have never riddden either. In my opinion, it makes a great woods bike (that's all we ride). May be a little harder to ride in certain terrain, but he took to it like it was natural. He has been able to climb any hill or go anywhere I have been and stays right on my tail. Just recently I changed the rear sprocket up one to a 49 tooth and dropped the front by one to 13 tooth. That is all the mods I have done. I am having trouble getting this thing NOT to spooge like crazy. Played with jetting again this afternoon and will test run tomorrow. To sum it up, I don't think any of the 85's would be a bad choice. The YZ has plenty of mid and top.
With my 165 lb on the seat, I can hardly keep front wheel down through fourth gear. I was getting on it pretty hard though. I know he will never ride the XR again. Guess I'm gonna have to sell it.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Ranman my son had a 2002 YZ85 and sorry to say after playing with (and having Rich R play with it) the jetting the only solution to stopping the spooge was a 50/50 mix VP C12 and premium pump. Jetting would minimize the spooge but never seemed to eliminate it.
The pilot jet adjustment is only by replacing with other sizes and be sure to screw them in good and snug so they stay in place. The air screw will help with minor tuning adjusts between the different sizes.
You may also want to consider the CarbonTech LT reed for the bike. We put one in and it had a noticable boost in low end.

Top Bottom