Pipe to flange sealant?

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
I just purchased a new pipe for my 02 CR250. I noticed while installing it last night that it doesn't fit the flange as tightly as the stock pipe. Does any one at there use a specific high temperature sealant between the pipe flange and pipe?

Thank You very much in advance,
ERik

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
That was what I was going to use, I figured that to be the best stuff. I heard the orange color RTV works the best. I was just wondering if anybody used permatex or an equivilent and got good results.

Erik

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
Yep, I have used
Permatex sensor safe high-temp RTV silicone gasket maker.
worked perfect, got it at auto zone

Walt

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Permatex Ultra-Copper :thumb:

CR-For-Ever

Feb 25, 2002
Yea I don't understand why it doesn't work am I doin somthing wrong?

I tried to seal it and it didn't work I'm confused!

How do yous do it?

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Make sure the surface is clean (contact cleaner), and give it proper drying time, it lasts a long time for me.(at least a season.)

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
CR 4 Eva,

Last night I sealed my entire exhuast system and it came out perfect. I used Hi-Temp Permatex RTV orange color. I took my time. First I cleaned off my exhaust flange with contact cleaner till it shined. I applied a bead of RTV around the exhaust gasket/O-ring. Put the pipe on, tightened everything up and then sealed my silencer and junction between the silencer and pipe. Patience is virtue and didn't make a mess. On the instructions it say's it takes approx. 24 hours to fully cure. So by tomorrow I will be good to go.

Erik

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
I assume you have installed the distance washer that goes between the pipe and the cylindeer?
Also, are both your 0-ring gaskets installed and in good shape.
If not, take one to our local auto parts store and get a hi-temp exhaust gasket ring..about a buck, vs. 11.00 from Honda.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…