rerfurt

Jul 7, 2005
At the moment there are a lot of piston brands on the market - which are good and which are not ? or should I go with stock pistons only.

Here is a list of two stroke pistons I have found resently:

Wiseco
Mitaka
Vertex
Prox
Namura
SRS
Wössner
Meteor

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I use WEISCO exclusively. It’s a forged piston that has superior durability over a cast piston. I have no problem leaving a WEISCO piston in for 100 but would be nervous with a cast piston after 30 hours. Stock and most other replacement pistons are cast. The only thing to remember with a forged piston is to properly break it in by doing several heating and cooling cycles before you really get on it.

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
I use Vertex pistons. They have held up better than stockers for me. I don't have to drill any extra holes in them or do any heat/cool cycles to them.

rerfurt

Jul 7, 2005
Thanks for the thread on forged versus cast pistons, that was great info.

I don't have much experience with pistons, however while doing my topend last time, I switched from PROX to Namura. I found the two pistons to be almost 100% equivalent casting wise, with the exception that the letters "PROX - XXXX" wasn't part of the Namura casting - but everything else matched up completely, even the crosshatch pattern found on the inside of the piston head - and little defects in the surfacefinish on the backside of the skirt.

The Namura piston had anodized dome and molybdenum coated skirt as extra features compared to the prox one - I don't know if this makes a huge difference once running.

Perhaps they somehow use that same source for casting ???

+30

Aug 2, 2005
+1 wiseco.!! Have used many many wiseco, never a prob. Shattered a few stock pistons though. Make sure to get the proper ring gap on installation, file the ends with a jewlers file if necessary.Follow the inst instructions and go ride.

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
Wossner pistons are also a forged, high-quality piston. Not as well known as Wiseco, but just as good. When the time comes to do the piston in my KTM, I'll either use Wiseco or Wossner. Probably whichever I can get the better price on.

Top Bottom