Piston troubles

yz125_894

Nov 23, 2003
Hey guys i have a 02 yz125 and i have been having trouble with my bike. i have already seized 2 pistons because the jetting was too lean but today it was like 50 so i went down from 440 main jet to a 430 (420 stock). I was riding the bike and it died and upon taking the top end off i looked at the piston and the front near exhaust was melted and the top was melted to. the spark plug was missing the little thing that sticks off of it. the cylinder now has some of the metal on the front and i was woundering if i can just get this honed or do i need to get it replated thanks. (eric you out there?)

TravisP

Sep 11, 2003
why did you ask if Mr Gorr is out here? did he build your engine? did he tell you to run race gas? did you follow his instructions? it sounds like your bike detonated itself to death

kdxtaz

~SPONSOR~
Mar 29, 2002
If it's a stock engine & you're that much larger than stock on the main, then I would guess that you're sucking in air somewhere making it too lean. Maybe the left side crank seal or the reed block gasket.

yz125_894

Nov 23, 2003
I had the motor ported and polished by eric and have a pipe and v-force. I only had that big of jet for winter riding. That was the recomendation of eric was. Thanks for all your guys help. I have sent the cylinder to eric to get it honed.

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003

I know if I had seized more than one top end due to lean jetting, I would significantly richen the jetting and never even think of leaning it for a while. Try to richen it up a bit to start off, because worst case scenario there running rich = a fouled plug vrs. running learn = seized top. What oil premix ratio are you running? But in your case, it seems like as mentioned above you may have another problem on your hand. Stock jetting is rich enough as it is and should be in most cases.

If the spark plug is missing the electrode tip (if thats what you are referring to?) Does it look as if it is burned off, or snapped off? A friend of mine had his electrode tip burned off and it sticks straight up, and due to further inspection, his coolant level was low and the bike was overheating easily and wasnt starting when even the slightest bit hot.

yz125_894

Nov 23, 2003
its not the electrode it is the thing on top of it that you bend to get the plug gap. I think it was just the jetting idk tho i will just put it back together when i get it and see what happens thanks guys.

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
ground electrode

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…