Place to ride in CT or North East

Shaymer

Oct 18, 2001
Looking for Trails, Tracks, public (legal) land, and business places for myself and my 5 and 8 year olds. Day trips or weekend getaways.

What are the latest laws concerning riding on public proporty. What is tresspassing and what's not. A jeep buddy of mine said that if its not private land, and it doesn't say 'No Trespassing', then its legal. Another option was to get a hunting license and go where I want, as an animal activist told me that as long as I have a license to hunt, they can't say anything if I'm there with my bike or Jeep. It's not like they're going to give me a fine because I DON'T have a gunrack.

Mar 31, 2000
Doesn't matter if it's posted or not, it's illegal, and a hunting liscense is only good for "hunting" don't get yourself busted. Enviro cops are everywhere and are stricly enforcing laws throughout the state of MA. Conn. and N.H.
It's a losing battle out here in New England. Here is a link to some legal riding in state forests in Mass.
Beware most of these areas are serious Enduro/ Harescramble terrain.http://www.state.ma.us/dem/recreate/orv.htm

Also check out this legal practice track
http://www.uxbridgemsp.com/links.htm
Make sure you're registered wherever you go. the enviros are everywhere.

Shaymer

Oct 18, 2001
Here's the thing with hunting land. It's suppossed to be public land, as it is unconstitutional to desriminate against those who wish to use public land and abbide by the law. However, the Dep. of Environmental Protection DOES descriminate against those who wish not to hunt on public hunting land. So, it cannot be interpretted as unlawful in any way if I drive my Jeep through hunting land, just as the hunters do, but choose not to bring my gun. The same can be said for those who use atvs to hunt However, those with badge always make the rules reguardless of what it says.

None the less, if I'm from CT, do I need to get my bike registered in Mass to ride in Mass. Is it a problem if I'm out of state.

Thanks.
Shaymer

Mar 31, 2000
As far as I know, any "Public Hunting Land" is regulated by the Dept of wildlife management. Along with the rules is stated Motorized Vehicles are prohibited. And just recently noticed an additional " No off-road vehicles" sign in front of one of the management area gates. Your only option is to get permission on private land. which is next to impossible. There's tons of untouched land that many private owners are sitting on too scared to grant access in fear of being sued. As far as being registered, I hear that you can ride in the Berkshire state forests with a Conn. registration.

rippin

Apr 21, 2001
i live by danbury witch is about 30 mins from hartfod and i know a few local spots and i ride at thomostan dam and ct river motocross every weekend if u guys wanna go riding sometime

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
www.ctmotocross.com
not great conditions all the time, but run by nice people and legal

there is also milford riders club. It is a small private supercross style track. 275 a year first year, then 125 every year after that. It is a close knit group and you can ride 364 days a year 12 hours a day. They have lights and sprinklers. Come to the track on friday nights at 7 to check out the races. They are alot of fun and there are some unbelievable riders there.

Hope I helped and if you have any questions whatsoever, email me I would be more than glad to help a fellow rider out.

GeoffM24

~SPONSOR~
Jan 19, 2003
Guys I just called the DEP and asked them WHY would I register my bike?

It does NOT need to be registered to ride on your own property or on other property where you have permission to ride.

Since I will NEVER be riding at the 8 parks listed as open I don't see any point in getting registered.

It seems that unless you are planning on riding in those State parks registration is pointless because everywhere else is legal or illegal regardless of registration.

donkey dawn11

Sep 20, 2005
Rippen
can I contact you me and my son are going to Danbury Conn in June looking for a place to ride I have family in Danbury they live on Robin Hood Rd. last name of Jones

Last edited:

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Yours is the first post in this thread since 2003. But, who knows, maybe someone from that area will chime in. :)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom