Plastic glide plate, What do you think?

Knobbyjake

~SPONSOR~
Jan 29, 2000
I put a Maier plastic skidplate on my '90 KX 500. We have a lot of rocks in Pa. and it worked and held up surprisingly well. I'd use one again.

trailryder

Oct 1, 2004
I've never used plastic in those areas before, My only concern would be hitting rock when/if you were riding in the cold weather...in Maine....that's all we got !!!

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
Where I am in Australia I've never experienced anything colder than about 5 degrees celcius. I never ride when its that cold though... BRRRRRR... I hate cold weather. I like the mid 20s.

BRYDEN1

Sep 22, 2003
For other than pure hard core rock duty, these should be more than enough. The side protection for the waterpump is a neccessity.Ride on :cool:

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
I'm with BRYDEN1 should be fine. If you don't mind what was the price?

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
:eek: Are you sitting down? :eek:

It was about $100US. It's a lot of money for a piece of plastic I know but heck you only live once and I had a bit of trouble tracking down an aluminium locally anyway. Also it's black to match my fibreglass pipe guard. I am awaiting delivery ATM so I will post a report once I have it and the Race Tech suspension fitted. :cool:

outrgus

Jan 15, 2003
If our looking for a cheaper option, build one out of puck board (the plastic stuff in hockey rinks). I made one four years ago and the thing is still going strong and it's seen many miles of damaging rocks (ask BYRDON1). Four hose clamps and little piece of puck board only cost me $10.00 cdn. also comes in many colors.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
That is a lot, but I like that it lookslike it's stock.

GS

Jun 29, 2003
Hi there Outrgus,
Hate to ask, but could you post a pic of this puck board plate of yours. Does it protect the pump? I'm having a little trouble visualizing it....
Thanks for whatever you can do. PS: Where did you find the material? Used?
Greg

BRYDEN1

Sep 22, 2003
Try your local hockey arena for scraps. Outrgus's skid plate sits under the frame rails flush with the outside edge on either side. Hose clamps fit around the frame and through slots cut in the puckboard. Cheap and effective.

I made my own skid plate out of aluminum plate and welded 4 tabs onto the frame to mount it. It seemed to offer enough protection until I wadded chasing outrgus up a rocky climb. A sharp rock tore my lower pipe mount off and smacked the waterpump cover hard enough to knock the upper dowel out of the case. I'm in the process of adding aluminum ears to my skid plate in my spare time at work.

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
That is the first KDX skid plate I have seen with "side flaps".

Every other one is just a flat frame glide plate with no engine case protection.

Does ANYONE else make a skid plate with engine protection?

Too bad that one is on the other side of the world.

Phil

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
I thought the same thing about the location they are made (South Africa). Suprisingly there are several re-sellers in Australia. Im sure an email to them would track you down a supplier. I will update with a full report soon. If you have any problems PM me and I will endeavor to find out from a supplier over here if they know of a US re-seller.

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
motorider200 said:

Nice try, but here's what the utah model looks like for the actual kdx: ;)

217f.gif

I think this plastic one may be the only one out there with side gaurds.

Phil

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
Don't worry - it is very frustrating for me too. Most of the manufacturers only show pics of a couple bikes - and they often have the side "wings". But so far until this SA place, no one I have found has had a real wrap around skid for the kdx...

i sent them an email asking if there was a canadian or american supplier.

Phil

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Let us know how it fits!

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
kmccune
Certainly will.
Phil
When thinking about it more closely I never got an email back from them. I recieved one from the Australian reseller I had also sent an email to I will also make a few long distance phone calls and try to find a supplier for you guys.

Top Bottom