kiowa58d

Apr 10, 2007
I have a 97 XR 600 that I paid $800 for that is moderate shape. It wouldn't run properly (smoking and excessive engine noise), so I took it to Honda dealer for repair and was informed that it needed a top-end rebuild.

They sent the head off to machine shop for boring and the head was returned because the shop said the sleeve was loose within the head and there was not enought tolerance to bore it. Dealer said that I would need a new head ($540). I asked about just putting a new sleeve in the head, he said they could try but they were not sure if it would stay in place. He said that it might pop out easily.

I don't have a good gut feeling about what they are telling me so hopefully some of you can steer me in the right direction.
Thank you,
Mark

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I say, get a sleeve for a big bore kit and have that installed. They will have to enlarge the original bore to install the big bore sleeve and they should be able to bring it into spec while doing so. The big bore sleeve and machine would should certainly cost less than $540.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I am confused.

It isn't the head that gets sleeved and/or bored it is the cylinder.

I would start looking for a replacement cylinder/head from someone parting out such a bike.

Rod

Top Bottom