Please Help! How do I take the chain off my bike?

enduro100

Jul 29, 2005
I am a new rider and have never taken the chain off my dirt bike before. I have a 1977 Yamaha Enduro 100cc. Can someone please list instructions on how to take the chain off so I can take my tire off to replace my rear brakes?

Thanks

Garydmx

Aug 29, 2002
Locate the master link. Looking at the master link you'll see one end is solid and the other has a slit running horizontally. Using the pin on the master link on the slotted side simply anchor one side of pliers on inside side of pin and outside of slotted master link end. Squeeze pliers it should move the master link slotted end over the pin towards the middle of the master link. Then you should be able to pull it off with fingers. Nown when you put it back on reverse the procedure and make sure the slotted end is pointing to the back of the bike. That would be when the master link is on the top side of the rear sprocket. Good luck

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
To just take the Rear wheel assembly off there is no need to remove the master link. Simply loosen the axle nut, push the rear wheel forward a bit to get some slack pull the chain off the rear sprocket.
done deal
Cept, now you have to remove the rear brake push rod and the brake hub link.

Top Bottom