490Dave

Mar 18, 2003
I got a new wiseco piston kit for my KX450, the instructions simply say "arrow must point toward exaust side of cylinder"

This seems a little vague to me, do i install the piston with the arrow on the intake side of the engine pointing to the exaust side, or does the arrow point to the exaust side of the piston or what??? please help!

P.S. What ever happened to the arrow simply pointing to the front of the engine?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
490Dave said:
I got a new wiseco piston kit for my KX450, the instructions simply say "arrow must point toward exaust side of cylinder"

This seems a little vague to me, do i install the piston with the arrow on the intake side of the engine pointing to the exaust side, or does the arrow point to the exaust side of the piston or what??? please help!

P.S. What ever happened to the arrow simply pointing to the front of the engine?

Seems pretty clear to me. Put the piston in the cylinder with the arrow pointing toward the exhaust port. Since the exhaust port is on the front of the engine, point it that way..

I don't know what you mean by "do i install the piston with the arrow on the intake side of the engine pointing to the exaust side" unless you have an arrow on the piston pointing toward the center of the piston, which I doubt.

Seems to me that you are trying to make this more difficult than it really is.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Even without the arrow if you look at the piston crown and the valve cutouts, the orientation should be obvious.

490Dave

Mar 18, 2003
IndyMX said:
unless you have an arrow on the piston pointing toward the center of the piston, which I doubt.

The arrow does point toward the center of the piston! i guess thats whats hanging me up here.

"Even without the arrow if you look at the piston crown and the valve cutouts, the orientation should be obvious."

Sorry! its just not that clear to me that there's any difference!

Thanks for replying

Last edited:

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
490Dave said:
The arrow does point toward the center of the piston! i guess thats whats hanging me up here.

"Even without the arrow if you look at the piston crown and the valve cutouts, the orientation should be obvious."

Sorry! its just not that clear to me that there's any difference!

Thanks for replying

Post a picture.

490Dave

Mar 18, 2003
IndyMX said:
Post a picture.

I'll try

got it!
I've measured the valve reliefs and the intake side is only slightly larger than the exaust. My 47yr old eyes aren't what they used to be......... :(

I guess i just needed somebody to gently whack me on the head.

Thanks again!

490Dave

Mar 18, 2003
Dylan19302 said:
If the arrow says to point forward point it forward.

it doesn't say point forward......
im not dumb, i just wanted to make sure it was correct before i put it all back together!

thanks anyway!

Dylan19302

Jun 27, 2008
is the bike a 2 or 4 stroke. if its 2 then there will be a solid side of the side of the piston and that side goes to the exhaust. And you said that the arrow points to the exhause so thats what i would do.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Dylan19302 said:
so thats what i would do.

What you should do, is stop posting. :bang:

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Dylan19302 said:
is the bike a 2 or 4 stroke.

If you would take the time to read

490Dave said:

As Rich said maybe you should take up reading more and posting less

490Dave

Mar 18, 2003
Im happy to say the rebuild went fairly smooth (except for the whole piston thing) and have 2+ hours of track and trail on the bike and everything seems good. The only difference i can tell is there's a little more snap in the power on accelleration.
A couple of things to note:
1)besure to keep the rag stuffed into the case until you're ready to seat the head, make sure alignment pins stay put.
2)besure to snug the valve cover bolts all the way down or else the seal leaks
3)The front chain guide notch needs to go below the head gasket, it's difficult to keep it in place while setting the head, be patient and get some help.

Thanks!

Top Bottom