please help..stall/backfire

Creed5150

Apr 11, 2000
Hey everyone, I haven't been here in while..I need some help big time..I haven't riden my bike for about 8 months until today. It's a 90 KX125..I changed the oil and plug and the bike fired right up..Rode it for like 10 minutes and it ran pretty good..After about 10 minutes, it started to stall out and hard to rev..Then it started backfiring and stalled...I could get it started for a sec or two, but it wouldn't hold the revs/backfire and stall.. What could have happened? I changed the plugs, cleaned the filter, cleaned out the resonator (KPS) (just the side thing) was filled with black soot...Flushed out the radiator with reg water..Same thing..It sounds like the timing is off, but how can that just happen? Oh, I also drained the tank and put in fresh gas and oil..I'm getting fuel/air/spark..I didn't get a chance to use a compression tester, but I could feel with my finger that there is compression. The only thing I can't think of is the carburator, blown rings/piston/head gasket or timing..Let me know what you guys think, since this is baffling me..Everything was great, now blah!!1

thanks

B

biglou

My best guesses-There might some residual crud from the gas that was in there for the 8 months prior that eventually made its way to the carb. Pull the carb and clean it thoroghly. Spray it down liberally with carb cleaner, and pay extra attention to the jets and all the little ports and passages. Also, with the fuel line off, drain a bit of the fuel from the tank into a clean container and see if it looks contaminated at all. If so, flush the tank thoroughly. There could be bits of crud sloshing around in there, so you may have to remove the tank and flush it a few times to be sure you get it all out.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
another possibility, is a shorn woodruff key on the flywheel. this would put the timing off.

Creed5150

Apr 11, 2000
How would I check the woodruff key on the flywheel? I've never been in there before Also, how do I check the timing..I never have had to do that before either.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…