Please help!

viking20

Sponsoring Member
Aug 11, 2002
My son just got his first 125,a 01 CR.After years of racing 80´s,and just turning a few clickers now and then,Im a bit confused now!At 55 kg´s without gear,the springs are way too hard for him.Front and rear WP springs are on their way(hopefully,grrr...),but what about the damping?If he needs a re-valve,can they do this based on his weight alone?I really hope we can get by with the springs!Would any of you suggest that I go with the "standard" clicks after the springs are installed,as a starting point,and what kind of fork oil,and height?If the track is not too rough,he actually looks pretty good on the bike,so Im a bit confused as to how much I have to modify the suspension!

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Viking at his weight the only cheap options are to use 2.5wt oil at the minimum level and turn the comp clickers out to full soft.

Most bikes look good on the smoother parts of the track but its the rough parts that tire you out and make the rider crash.

Revalves are done on weight and speed and type of riding.Basically the less the tuner asks the more you should worry.

viking20

Sponsoring Member
Aug 11, 2002
Thanks,Marcus!Im going with the "budget" solution at first,to see if it will be sort of ok.After all,maybe he will grow a lot over the winter,most of his school mates are 5-10 inches higher than him already.Im one of the Dads that never raced myself,so I have to read a lot about things,and talk with experienced people like you.Getting feedback regarding suspension from a young man isnt always easy,you know!Normally the forks are less of a problem if theyre a little too stiff,right?Under braking,with the forks loaded up,and lots of sharp "braking holes",there doesnt seem to be a problem,and he has no pain in his hands/forearms even after 35 mins on a rough track.You can tell hes searching for the easy/fast route around the track,so maybe hes learning this by having a stiff suspension!Hes already been around 10 hours on the bike,and he hasnt crashed it yet,so hes not a wild kid,thank God!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…