Polaris buys 25% of KTM more to come

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
The story from www.cyclenews.com at http://www.cyclenews.com/ShowStory.asp?HeadlineID=7922

From the story:

"The following release is from Polaris...

Polaris Industries Inc. (NYSE/PSE:PII) announced today that it will purchase a 24-percent interest in Austrian motorcycle manufacturer KTM Power Sports AG, formerly known as Cross Holding AG, and partner with KTM on several important strategic projects. The goal of the partnership is to strengthen the competitive position of both companies and provide tangible benefits to customers, dealers, suppliers and shareholders.

During the first phase of the partnership, each company will continue to be run separately, but will work together on several specific cooperative projects involving new product development, engine technology sharing, distribution, manufacturing, and purchasing.
Additionally, Polaris and KTM Power Sports' largest shareholder, Cross Industries AG ("Cross"), have entered into option agreements which, under certain conditions in 2007, either Cross may purchase Polaris' interest in KTM Power Sports AG or, alternatively, Polaris may become the majority shareholder of KTM Power Sports AG. In the latter case, the majority of the purchase price to Cross will be settled in Polaris shares and Cross will become a significant shareholder in the combined Polaris/KTM organization. Cross' principal shareholders are KTM CEO Stefan Pierer and KTM CFO Rudolf Knünz. The exercise price under both option arrangements are based on market-based, predetermined pricing formulas to be derived from operating results of both companies in 2007.

"I believe this partnership will provide substantial benefits to both Polaris and KTM, and both company's dealers, employees, suppliers and shareholders for many years to come," said Tiller. "We have long admired the success of KTM, and are excited about working together to strengthen both companies. Polaris can benefit from KTM's substantial experience in motorcycles, an outstanding brand, leading technology, and a solid manufacturing presence and dealer network in Europe. Moreover, this relationship complements nearly every aspect of Polaris' five-year strategic vision, which is a roadmap to make Polaris the most dominant brand in the powersports industry. Further, we believe the two-step approach we have outlined significantly lessens the cultural and execution risk associated with a partnership of this magnitude."

"In essence, this partnership combines the substantial strength, passion, and success of two industry leaders with very similar, successful 50-year histories, but who do not compete directly today. It is a very natural fit for both of us," added Tiller.

Mr. Pierer commented, "Polaris and KTM complement each other very well, and we are very excited about our new relationship. By joining forces, we believe we can strengthen KTM's presence in North America, reduce our production costs, spread our development costs over a larger base, and substantially accelerate our entry into the ATV business. We also look forward to sharing both chassis and engine technology with Polaris. The KTM and Polaris teams should work well together - both companies are driven by innovation, passion, and demand success."

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
XRpredator said:
yay! my 4-wheeler and my bike are related now!

They are in-laws.

An orange quad ... now that is interesting. Let's hope the cross breeding doesn't lead to kids with six toes. ;)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Polaris has a really strong reputation for looking at an existing product, determining it's flaws and working hard to improve the design. Their manufacturing and engineering capabilities are world class. This could prove to be a real adavantage for KTM's new designs.

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
Does that mean I have to buy a quad now? :bang:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
You should be the marketing manager Roy :)

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
ChopperDave said:
Does that mean I have to buy a quad now? :bang:

How about one of these?

index.jpg

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Seems like a perfect fit. As they said, there is no overlap and they're both respectable industry players. Just sharing the distribution channels on either side of the pond would be a big "Victory". :uh: (sometimes I kill myself.)

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
Vic said:
How about one of these?

index.jpg

NO, definately NOT! I have a reputation to think about. What would all my biker buddies say? Ack!

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
ChopperDave said:
NO, definately NOT! I have a reputation to think about. What would all my biker buddies say? Ack!

You don't mean the "Ride a Harley or Die" crowd, do you?

:coocoo:

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
Vic said:
You don't mean the "Ride a Harley or Die" crowd, do you?

:coocoo:

I'd rather wear a thong! I'll bet ya like that huh Vic! ;)

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
KTM and VW teamed up for a limited edition 450 EXC, looks good

Attachments

• info_file.jpg
    info_file.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 67

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
reposted from husaberg.org...

I'm sorry guys, but the truth may be much less fun and dramatic than it would appear at first blush.
Taken from the article written in the last post;
"Additionally, Polaris and KTM Power Sports' largest shareholder, Cross Industries AG ("Cross"), have entered into option agreements which, under certain conditions in 2007, either Cross may purchase Polaris' interest in KTM Power Sports AG or, alternatively, Polaris may become the majority shareholder of KTM Power Sports AG. In the latter case, the majority of the purchase price to Cross will be settled in Polaris shares and Cross will become a significant shareholder in the combined Polaris/KTM organization. Cross' principal shareholders are KTM CEO Stefan Pierer and KTM CFO Rudolf Knünz....

A bulletin from KTM to it's dealers spells it out much more clearly - KTM and Polaris are already owned by the SAME TWO GUYS!
Just rich people moving tokens around on the board, no more or less.
It may also make KTM american enough to import products from the EEC and escape some tarriffs while simultaniously allowing Polaris to take advantage of KTM's very effective global marketing infrastructure.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
ChopperDave said:
I'd rather wear a thong! I'll bet ya like that huh Vic! ;)

Did someone say, "THONG" ?!

M_67397_1.jpg

Can't get enough, can ya Dave?

P_489737_561791.jpg

:)

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
I read it a little differently. I can see a Polaris with a KTM 450 engine to compete with Yamaha, Honda and Suzuki in the high performance ATV market. This may kill a KTM quad.

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
Ah, I can see it now, a belt-driven Polaris dirt bike making gobs of dust as it plods along the trail at a break-neck 13 MPH with it's wife-beater t-shirt wearin', helmet-less rider sippin' on a cool one. How do you install racks and a trailer hitch on a dirt bike?

Top Bottom